Slightly Underpitched or grossly Underpitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm sure this question has been answered but I was unable to find it in my search. I brewed yesterday and was shooting for a 1.080, when to my surprise I hit a 1.090. I am totally ok with the fact that I may end up with a much bigger beer, but I made a starter for a 1.080. In Beersmith and on mr malty they say I'm about 20 billion cells short of a proper pitch. I know it's not the worst, but I also know it's not the best. I made a 1.5L starter with 1 vial of wlp002 and 1 vial of wlp007. That's two vials in ONE starter. Is there a straight answer? How stressed will that yeast be? I'm fermenting in the 70-72 range currently. Thanks for any feedback!

I think you'll be fine but am curious as to whether this was an extract or all grain batch?

Sounds ok if this is a 5-5.5 gal batch. Iv'e made a fine 5.0 gallons of 1.074 OG beer with only one dry yeast pack (11g) which is about the same as 2 liquid yeast vials with no starter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I thought I would be alright but you know how it is. This is an all grain biab 4 gal batch.

Latest posts

Back