Is there a way to remove mineral build up on stainless steel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Loan my brew kettle to a friend while I was gone and got it back with a layer of "something" on the bottom surface as well as some burn marks from where the kettle was on his stand. Anybody have any suggestions as to if/how these can be removed? I have tried scrubbing with regular dish soap and then a solid rinse but not much came off.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Acid based cleaner should do the trick. At least in the dairy business where I work by day, the overly simplistic rules of thumb are caustics to cut out the protein and fat, acids for the minerals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried oxyclean and it did nothing. The name beerstone got me thinking about how to dissolve calcium based compounds and I made a solution of Starsan and water, let it soak for 10 minutes and it wiped away clean. I should have remembered this before because if I soak bottles in oxyclean too long there can be a build up of cleanser crud that won't rinse clean or scrub clean easily.

Here is a new picture of the inside. I don't think I want to tell my brew buddy how easily this came off so he can come over and do some bottling for me in payment for all of that elbow grease.

015.jpg

Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend?

Ditto on this-- BKF is your friend! After washing, leave the kettle wet and add a small sprinkle of BKF. I use a moistened paper towel to scrub; ScotchBrite, especially the green ones, can scratch the snot out of stainless... I'd recommend one compatible with teflon pans to scrub if you insist.

Also, be sure to use BKF on the entire interior of the pot, not just the stains-- it will repassivate the stainless surface.

Back