Refrigerator to fermenter -- advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2brew

Reaction score
Hello, new brewer here, lots of great info on this site. However, I have not been able to find a nice summary on converting a refrigerator to a fermenter. If one exists, I apologize for the extraneous post-- could you point me to it? If not, here are some questions I have:

How big should the refrigerator be?
How many buckets/better bottles could I fit in various sizes?
Pros/Cons for side-by-side or top/bottom freezer?
Do I need to tear out any walls/shelves etc. in the fridge (modifications)?
How do I wire in the thermostat?
Are there any step-by-step instructions on the whole process?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

the fridge can be a variety of sizes and the best way to determine how big you want to go is to make a paper cutout the size of the fermenter base and place it in various fridges you want to try. on the other hand, shelves can be built into the fridge to increase space. or the side by side can be modified to increase space. here is a good thread that will answer some of your questions:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-fermentation-chamber-build-105054/

i haven't seen a fridge with a top/bottom freezer cut out to make the entire space available, but i'm sure it could be done. you'll definitely have to do some modifications to the fridge if you want to maximize the space. take the door panel off, replace it, take all the shelves out, install wood shelves, etc...

also, typing 'refrigerator fermenter' or 'fermenting with fridge', etc. in the search will yield a bunch of posts pertaining to this topic.

NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control

Easiest thing to do is get a temperature controller: it has a temperature probe that you keep in the fridge, and then it turns the fridge on or off to regulate the temperature.

As for size, anything mid-sized or above works. I personally would just get a fridge that had a smaller freezer (or none at all)...but if you find a good deal on one particular type...snag it.

Latest posts

Back