Research

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a pretty long time and I'm looking to jump back in with a Porter, Stout, or ESB... or one of each. I am planning on running to the local beer distributor and pick up a selection of beers to help me figure out what I want to brew.

Do you guys have any suggestions for beers that I should be trying in any of these three styles? I want to make sure I don't miss out on anything that may inspire me.

For the porter and ESB, I am really fond of the Fuller's (UK) products. Stouts are surprisingly variable, so that one is a more personal choice. I prefer the big American stouts over the classic Irish ones. Laguinita's Imperial Stout, Rogue's Shakespeare stout, and Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout are some of my favourites, even if they aren't really to style.

Best of luck on your 'research'! ;)

Yep, I'd check out Fuller's ESB as it is the style standard and their Porter. For Stout I would recommend any of the Rogue Stouts. Most of the commercial stout I drink is of the Imperial variety and I would recommend Old Rasputin or Dead Yeti.

Porters - Fullers London Porter is a favorite...Summit Great Northern Porter is another great one. Troegs Dead Reckoning is a good solid porter.

ESB - Fullers again, Rogue Brutal Bitter is pretty tasty as is Left Hand's Sawtooth.

Stouts- where to start? Got a favorite style (dry, sweet, double, RIS, plain old stout)? Grab one each of Bells stouts, Mikkeller BGB, Lost Coast 8 Ball is tasty, Rouge has some good ones as mentioned, Great Lakes Blackout, North Coast's Rasputin.

Yes, research is tough work but has to be done :)

Back