• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

ALL Electric HERMS FOR SALE $1,500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
It is official: SOLD!!

100% Electric HERMS For Sale, Indianapolis Area

HLT:
10 gallon Rubbermaid beverage cooler
1500W heating element
Johnson A419 temperature controller
1/2" x 25' copper HERMS coil
1/2" full port ball valve
Calibrated sight gauge
120VAC water agitator
Every port has a brass QD

MLT:
10 gallon Rubbermaid beverage cooler
Calibrated sight gauge
Thru wall digital thermometer
LocLine HERMS return line/sparge line
NB SS false bottom
Every port has a brass QD

Boil Kettle:
15.5 gallon Sankey Keggle
5500W heating element
Thermocouple
LocLine pickup tube
LocLine kettle recirculation line
All connections are QDs

Control Panel:
240VAC panel
Auber SYL-2532 PID
40A SSR
Heatsink
(2) 120VAC 20A switched outlets
(1) 240VAC 30A switched outlet (also PID controlled)

March 809 pump
All silicone hoses with, you guessed it QDs

Rig will come with my HERMS water mnagement spreadsheet (calcualtes HERMS HEX volumes and heating times).

Rig recently updated for closed circuit cooling (HLT and HERMS coil double as wort cooling chamber)

Very consistent 82-83% eff. with the use of a Barley Crusher Mill.

Comes complete with diamond plated rolling stand.

BrewBeastcooling.JPG

Yeah, I want it. :D

I'll have to get with you on a day I can come down and do the "wet run". I will be in the area on Jan 2, but I have no idea what your work schedule is. If you can manage that day, maybe we could do a quick wet run so you can show me the intricacies, and then we can put it in my truck. I have a tonneau cover on the pick up, and I assume we can slide it under that cover, to protect it, while the HLT can go inside the pickup on the backseat?

Going, going, gone! Cool to see that Yooper is getting it. Its all like one big HBT family...

As I have said before, it really looks like a great system. Yooper must be pretty excited!

Yeah, I want it. :D

I'll have to get with you on a day I can come down and do the "wet run". I will be in the area on Jan 2, but I have no idea what your work schedule is. If you can manage that day, maybe we could do a quick wet run so you can show me the intricacies, and then we can put it in my truck. I have a tonneau cover on the pick up, and I assume we can slide it under that cover, to protect it, while the HLT can go inside the pickup on the backseat?

I will not have a schedule for January 2nd, until December 20th...

How do you propose we slide it under a tonneau cover? EEK

I will not have a schedule for January 2nd, until December 20th...

How do you propose we slide it under a tonneau cover? EEK

Haha, don't know. Unless we roll up the tonneau cover, which is possible. But if it's snowing or raining, or some combo of the two, I thought a little cover might help!

It is modular, wouldnt be hard to pull the control panel off and the HLT temp controller... everything is modular. The electrical will be EASY to get into the truck cab.

Hopefully when I get my January schedule (including my training dates) we can get it worked out for ya Yoop! Been shopping for stainless tonight... my next rig will sell for 2x as much as this, so you are getting a DEAL!

I'm excited about it! I had my son-in-law to be look at the laundry room last night, and we're going to be pulling out a wall of cabinets and counter top, and putting in the water. My lurking friend on HBT, lschiavo, has promised to get my electrical ready in that roon.

The system will fit where the cabinets are, and the upper cabinets will be moved to an adjoining wall. I won't have room for a utility sink in there, though.

It should work out great, once we figure out for sure how to get it here!

man. this would be SO nice to have. and i live in indianapolis. can't commit to that much money right now though. i just need to learn how to build my own, i'm just scared of electricity, lol.

Electricity is nothing to get complacent with, and although I have used this system extensively for the past year in its current config., I do not take that for granted.

Mixing water and these power sources is something that requires care to be taken. This thing is NOT UL listed and was built by some dude in his garage (me). The rig has no leaks, I take great care not to drip water/wort when I change connections, I do not take a hose to the rig for cleaning/filling, and I do not operate it with wet hands or in a wet environment. There is really no reason for fluids to ever escape the three vessels if care is taken.

When YOOP arrives to take delivery, these points will be stressed. I love this rig and wouldnt sell it, except for the fact that I NEED a project and have too many ideas to simply re-vamp BrewBeast V2.0 again. Glad it is finding a home in the "family" and YOOP will always have "tech support" since she knows the creator.

So the big question is what are you going to do between the time you say goodbye to V2.0 and finish the new rig. Do you have enough on tap to survive the wait?

So the big question is what are you going to do between the time you say goodbye to V2.0 and finish the new rig. Do you have enough on tap to survive the wait?

I have 7 kegs ready for drinking, I am all set.

Parts list for the new rig is finished... working on a name. So far SWMBO and I like "ElectroBrew 9000", but that is subject to change.

Yoop just drove off with her new rig, and my passion for the past three years. Here is to years of successful brewing on BrewBeast in her brewery!

Thanks Yoop, so nice to meet you, I want you to email me those photos please!

Yoop just drove off with her new rig, and my passion for the past three years. Here is to years of successful brewing on BrewBeast in her brewery!

Thanks Yoop, so nice to meet you, I want you to email me those photos please!

You bet! I should be home by tomorrow night, and I'll send you the pictures we took of my rig!

Bob said it's like -2 at home right now, and I can't imagine taking out all of that stuff. Thank you so much for helping to explain the rig to me, and to take it all apart and rearrange my stuff. It was awesome meeting you and your SWMBO!

Pol,

How did you handle the potential liability of selling something that could potentially kill the next user if not used properly?

I know Yooper is a probably not the frivolous lawsuit type, but seriously, there is a ton of liability if something terrible were to happen.

Not that i want to sell mine, but i was thinking of this for my system (in the future).

Pol,

How did you handle the potential liability of selling something that could potentially kill the next user if not used properly?

I know Yooper is a probably not the frivolous lawsuit type, but seriously, there is a ton of liability if something terrible were to happen.

Not that i want to sell mine, but i was thinking of this for my system (in the future).

My guess would be by taking pride in the way he assembled it originally.

It is a good build, Yoop will have no problems keeping safe with a little common sense.

How do you sell a gas rig to anyone?

How do you sell a used carboy?

Well, I think that common sense does go a long way! I'm no electrician, but the build is sound. I bought it knowing that The Pol isn't an electrician or electrical engineer, and I've done some research on my own.

My goal lately was to have an all-electric rig, so I had looked into it.

I think it's like selling anything "used". I have bought used washers and dryers, used cars, etc. No warranty is ever given, or implied. But you use common sense and accept the responsibility to use good judgement in your purchases. The best part of any deal is two happy people. I'm happy with the deal The Pol gave me, and he's happy with the price he got. Win/Win.

By the way, Pol, my EE buddy stopped over yesterday and admired your work! He said it's similar in design to what he's building, but he's using floats in the HLT so he can automate it to stop filling when full, and to stop sparging when the water is at the top of the element. He's hooking it up to a water line, so the system will start at the push of a bottom. I thought it was a cool idea, but definitely not for me. He'll need a bigger vessel (I think he's using an insulated keg) just for the HERMS coil, the stirrer, and the floats!

I'm hoping my friend gets my electrical done this afternoon or tomorrow, since I'm itching to brew. He wants to brew with me to see it work, but he said he might not make it for my first brew day.

Well, I think that common sense does go a long way! I'm no electrician, but the build is sound. I bought it knowing that The Pol isn't an electrician or electrical engineer, and I've done some research on my own.

My goal lately was to have an all-electric rig, so I had looked into it.

I think it's like selling anything "used". I have bought used washers and dryers, used cars, etc. No warranty is ever given, or implied. But you use common sense and accept the responsibility to use good judgement in your purchases. The best part of any deal is two happy people. I'm happy with the deal The Pol gave me, and he's happy with the price he got. Win/Win.

By the way, Pol, my EE buddy stopped over yesterday and admired your work! He said it's similar in design to what he's building, but he's using floats in the HLT so he can automate it to stop filling when full, and to stop sparging when the water is at the top of the element. He's hooking it up to a water line, so the system will start at the push of a bottom. I thought it was a cool idea, but definitely not for me. He'll need a bigger vessel (I think he's using an insulated keg) just for the HERMS coil, the stirrer, and the floats!

I'm hoping my friend gets my electrical done this afternoon or tomorrow, since I'm itching to brew. He wants to brew with me to see it work, but he said he might not make it for my first brew day.

I am glad that you have a friend that can appreciate the E-Brewery and help you along in the process. Being an EE, and a brewer... that is a great combo for a brew pal in your new brewery Yoop! Check out my TriClamps that I got a few days ago over in Swagmans thread... they are SO nice, he is a great asset to HBT.

Pol,

I don't think this is a problem. Look at it this way. You sell a used car to someone, and they decide to use it in a street race. While they are racing the driver looses control and is killed. Do you really think you could be held liable for this? I would think the driver would have to use reasonable care, and drive the car in a reasonable manner. I think that Pol's brewery would be no different. It is also an as it sale with no warranty implied.

There is some evidence to suggest the buyer was well aware this was a non commercial brewing rig constructed at home for personal use by the seller and not UL listed. Not to mention evidence the seller had an electrical engineer look at it because they were looking for build tips? All publicly documented. I think we need to let this die.

But, but... The Pol did it, we have to make it controversial somehow ;)

Back