Stout Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I'll be bottling my American Stout this weekend and I would like to get the carbonation level correct for the style. The place I order from online sends you 3/4 cup of sugar for bottling. I have used the entire 3/4 for my American Pale Ale and the carbonation level came out perfect.

Now there are a few different factors with this stout. Obviously I will want a lower carbonation level than the APA. Also, the temperature for bottle conditioning will be around 65 degrees. I don't have a scale to measure out the exact ounces so I'm thinking I will use around 2/3 cup to get the correct carbonation level. Palmer's book suggests 3 ounces at 65 degrees to get around 2.1 volume of Co2 which is correct for the style.

So my question is, how much does 3/4 cup of sugar weigh? Would using 3/4 of the 3/4 cup packet get me near where I should be? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance.

American pales run 2.2-2.7 volumes of CO2, stouts are in the 1.7-2.3 range, so I'd shoot for 2/3'rds of 3/4, which is a 1/2 cup.

cheezydemon said:
Oh and Yes! You are worrying too much, but that is OK.

Gotta disagree about this. I highly recommend experimenting with carbonation levels and serving temperatures. They make a huge difference on the taste of your beer. A difference of 0.2 volumes is noticeable - especialy in traditionally low carbed beers like Scottish Ales and Bitters.

GT

Back