Have you ever met a hop you didn't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
Every time someone asks about a particular strain of hop on this board, it gets rave reviews.

I am in hop experimenting mode, and thinking about buying some cheaper strains of hops just to try.

So, have you ever had a hop that you didn't care for, or have a hop that clashed with a particluar style / recipe?

There are certainly hops that wouldn't go well with certain styles. I love EKG, but I doubt I would ever dry hop an APA with it.

However, I would have to say that no, I have never met a hop that I didn't like.

However, I also steer clear of the high alpha hops. When I hear people talking about harshness and stuff like that from hops, it is typically the high AA hops. The only high AA hop I have used more than once was Columbus, I think that is a great hop.

I've used a lot of different varieties and the only one that I can say that I didn't like and will probably never use again is Chinook.

Warrior, Simcoe, Amarillo, Hallertau and EKG are my personal favorites.

I've not yet experimented much in my own brews, but most of the C's tend to bug me a little. Chinook and Cascade particularly, but only in certain beers. Others I can't tell they're in there. *shrug*

I've been reading around a bit on newer varieties lately - I can report that unless you know exactly what you're doing, and what flavor you're aiming for, the Sorachi Ace variety can turn into a disaster.

On that note, what d'ya think about a Lemon Basil beer? Because that's the one thing that came to mind that Sorachi Ace could be tasty in.

Cascades. I used to love it but have gotten somewhat burned out on it. The grapefruit tones in it aren't really appealing to me.

Oh yeah, the one beer I've had with Sorachi didn't work for me; there was kind of a "pithy" flavor, like licking a lemon rind. I've got one of Cheese's beer with Sorachi to try, so I'll see soon enough if I dislike the hop or if there was something goofy about the recipe. I'm pretty sure, given the quality of the brewer (not me), it's the hop.

the_bird said:
Northern Brewer; I like it in Walker's IPA, but when I used it in a lower-key pale ale, it was really a bit too harsh.
Note to self...One sixer of my Northern Brewer Blonde goes to Bird if we gets him in the SS... :D

I do not like Chinook for anything besides a very long bittering hop. I had a beer that used Chinook for finishing and I was not pleased.

BierMuncher said:
Note to self...One sixer of my Northern Brewer Blonde goes to Bird if we gets him in the SS... :D

Don't you even start threatening me! I have some eighteen-month old Raspberry ale that was **** the minute I brewed it! It's even got "floaties"... :D

I like my RyePA, but if I make it again, I won't be using Magnum. For the high AA%, it doesn't provide much bitterness (at least what I was looking for for the IPA style).

I've only used it in darker beers, so I haven't got to try its full bittering potential, but Galena seems to be very pleasant, high AA%, and best of all, the LHBS has it $1 an ounce. The only one he carries at that cheap of a price, go figure.

I have never met a hop I didn't like - for something.

I like Chinook in very small quantities for flavoring, but don't care for it as a bittering hop.

Keep tasting them, I have tasted at least one leaf of every variety I have ever used. Up over about 6% I have to be real careful about this...

chriso said:
I've only used it in darker beers, so I haven't got to try its full bittering potential, but Galena seems to be very pleasant, high AA%, and best of all, the LHBS has it $1 an ounce. The only one he carries at that cheap of a price, go figure.
I've started using Galena for pure bittering additions and I'm finding that it works really well. It has a very neutral flavour so it doesn't really affect the recipe much. I originally started using it just to cut down on plant matter in the kettle (my english IPA's using a TON of EKG and it's expensive not too mention a lot of hops).

I don't like any of the citrus varieties really. I had an american-ish IPA but I've since stopped making it. That flavour just doesn't work for me anymore.

Cascade. I used to not mind it but it seems every American micro uses in excess. Sure it's nice, but when you buy a couple different micros and they are all hoppy cascades, they tend to taste very similar...

Give me some EKG!

I'm not a huge fan of Simcoe. Too much and it lends a cat piss smell to the beer.

I can barely get through a taster glass of Weyerbacher Simcoe. If it's mixed with other hops it can be acceptable, but by itself it's not my cup of tea.

I still like the American, citrusy hops, but I don't care much for Amarillo. I also don't care for Columbus, which also is quite popular. There are a lot of different tastes out there!

I also shy away from the high alpha hops when brewing. They seem a little freakish, and I shudder to think how that 0.1 oz can mess up my balance. :) I've had good success with some of them, though.

TL

I like them all. Every single one. I thought I didn't like Centennial a while back in my Lil Bastard because I detected a distinct flowery note that I attributed to the centennial hops. But the_bird convinced me to try a Pliny clone with them, and I realized they are not floral at all. I don't know what that floral note was, but it wasn't the hops!

I like all styles of lagers and ales and all hops that fit their styles. EKG in a mild? LOVE it. Cascade in an American IPA? LOVE it. Saaz in a pilsner? YUM! I can't think of one I don't like!

Still new to brewing but I have liked all the hops I have tried.
My all Chinook IPA was one of my favorites. Willamette has been wonderful in a number of beers and Centennial and Cascades have a great citrus flavor and aroma. EKG and Fuggles are great for English beers. I havn't had a chance to try the beer yet but I loved the smell when I opened the Simcoe package so I am so looking forward to the IPA with that hops in it.
Craig

I'm on the fence with 2 hops - Chinook and Simcoe. I've seen them used well and I've seen them used poorly. I'm undecided...

I've never used a hop that I didn't like. I've made a pale ale with Sorachi Ace that is yummy, lots of grapefruit. EKG is probably my favorite, with cascade in close second.

Soulive21 said:
I'm on the fence with 2 hops - Chinook and Simcoe. I've seen them used well and I've seen them used poorly. I'm undecided...
I think these are 2 hops you will not care for if you like subtle flavors and aromas. They do make for really bold beers that may overwhelm some people. My favorite styles are IPAs and RIS so bold works for me. :rockin:
Craig

CBBaron said:
I think these are 2 hops you will not care for if you like subtle flavors and aromas. They do make for really bold beers that may overwhelm some people. My favorite styles are IPAs and RIS so bold works for me. :rockin:
Craig

I like bold and subtle beer. In some cases Chinook is too harsh for me and in some cases Simcoe is sickeningly piney to me. In other cases they're both enjoyable to me...

A couple of us did a single hop experiment awhile back using NB for the bittering, then we split it up and dry hopped with 6 different hops. The biggest thing I took away from the experiment was never ever to use Columbus as an aroma addition, it was reminiscent of something vaguely automotive.

the_bird said:
Northern Brewer; I like it in Walker's IPA, but when I used it in a lower-key pale ale, it was really a bit too harsh.

Yah, I'm in the same boat. Not a huge Northern Brewer person. Perle either.
Too harsh.

Buford said:
I'm not a huge fan of Simcoe. Too much and it lends a cat piss smell to the beer.

I can barely get through a taster glass of Weyerbacher Simcoe. If it's mixed with other hops it can be acceptable, but by itself it's not my cup of tea.

Wow. And I thought someday we might get together and drink a beer or two. ;) Simcoe is my favorite hop, by far. Amarillo is my second. The two of them together, HEAVEN.

One more I'm not too fond of is Pacific Gem. Think black licorice. EWWWWWW.

I have to agree with those who don't really like the "C"s. I got sick to death of drinking grapefruit juice years ago.

It's not that Cascades and the like aren't good hops. On the contrary, without Cascades, there wouldn't be any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I would never have found Better Beer at all.

But I have to agree with a previous poster, who opined that it seems that every craft-brewed APA smells and tastes exactly the same - a clone of SNPA.

The high-alpha hops are referred to as "bittering hops" for a reason. I never could understand why someone would want to dry-hop with, say, Magnum. The high alpha levels were engineered into the hops for more efficient bittering - i.e., more margin for the brewery. If they have an acceptable flavor and aroma, it's a side effect.

P.S. There is one "C" I still love - Crystal. Yummy!

I use Willamette in damn near everything, 'cos I've always liked it. Besides, I've the better part of five pounds of pellets. :ban:

I think its cascade. I think that is the one that whenever I use it, I detect a sort of soapy after taste...

CBBaron said:
Still new to brewing but I have liked all the hops I have tried.
My all Chinook IPA was one of my favorites.
Craig

I just kegged NB's Chinook IPA. Sounds like I might have something good to look forward to?

max4677 said:
I just kegged NB's Chinook IPA. Sounds like I might have something good to look forward to?
Sounds good but as was mentioned Chinook can be a little harsh. It is definitely one that gets better with time.
I like Chinook and will definitely be using it again but I think some other hops are better for most (but not all) of your late hop additions.
Craig

Dude said:
;) Simcoe is my favorite hop, by far. Amarillo is my second. The two of them together, HEAVEN.

+1
Amarillo and Simcoe are the new peanut butter and jelly. The new girl-on-girl. The new steak and eggs.

One I never hear used is Bullion, I tried it in my habanero ale, and it is absolutely delicious. I only bitter hopped it on brewpastor's advice. The peppers impart a lot of flavor, so it is a difficult brew to judge by, but I would have to say that I recommend it. I also bittered a pumpkin seed ale with it, 1 oz cascade last 10 min and it is delicious. So I would say that those 2 go together well.

Now here's a quick question. With many of the common varieties being in short supply, what are some good equivalents to use that aren't as hard hit?

If this has already been discussed please post the thread link, and I'll just mosey over there. :)

I haven't really been immersed in all the different hops out there yet, but have tried quite a few. I haven't come across any as of yet that I don't like. If they're used in the right style of beer at the right time, I think any hop is good.

I am a "C" hop fan though. Centennial is my current favorite; I thank Bell's Brewery for that.

A good start for substitutions: http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/index.html

Hop I don't like? Lots of people have mentioned the citrus hops. I've had a Japanese beer that tasted like sour lemonade and was told the main flavor came from a single hop. Can't remember the name though. Fortunately, it isn't grown in the USA.

Latest posts

Back