New Belgium Skinny dip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeusEx

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for the skinny dip?

It says its a wheat ale with cascade hops and lemon zest. So maybe 1oz of lemon zest and 2oz of cascade hops for 60mins and some malted wheat?

I am looking for an all grain recipe.

Skinny Dip is just basic wheat beer. Using 2oz. of Cascade will probably overpower the beer. Same with lemon zest, but it's all up to you. I would probably go with .5oz of cascade at 60 minutes, and .5 at 10 minutes. I would keep the lemon zest under .75oz. I've never really gotten a huge lemon flavor from it, so that seems about right to me. I've got one at home. I'll try it and get back to you with more thoughts tonight.

I don't really taste any lemon in it. The label says it has 'Kaffir Lime Leaves' which seem to be where a lot of the flavor comes from.

I am having one right now as the SO wants me to make something similar. it sure does not present as a wheat in its clarity at all. there is more of a copper color it is definitely not opaque like traditional wheats. it does however drink more like a wheat with a smooth mouthfeel and body but with a maltier character.

I need a little help in trying to determine an extract w/ grains recipe anyone with some ideas? I have the hop and lime leaf schedule down that is the easy part.

the trick here is to get the ABV of 4.2% and the calories of 114 per 12 Fl. oz.

ABV - 4.2%
IBU - 16
Calories - 110
Hops - Cascade, Styrian Golden, Willamette
Malts - Pale, Caramel, Victory
OG - 8.9
TG - 1
Fruits/Spice - Peach Juice, Kaffir Leaf

I got this info from the new belgium website. I am new to this and would have no idea how to create a recipe, but I would bet someone here could build something close with the info here.

I'll take a stab at it...

Skinny Dip
Blonde Ale

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.56 gal
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal

Ingredients

4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
3.33 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min (can sub Fuggle, adjust for AAU)
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Irish Moss: Boil 15 min
1.25 lbs Corn Sugar Boil 15 Min (used in place of peach juice)
2- 3 Kaffir Leafs crumpled and ripped into pieces Boil 2 min
(WARNING: this is a powerful leaf, I'd start small and work up to the final taste you want. Remember: you can always add more lime to the glass, but you can't take it out!)

Add peach extract to taste at Kegging/Bottling

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.003 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.1 %
Bitterness: 15.5 IBUs
Calories: 110 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.7 SRM

Steep Grains for 20 minutes
Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F <--- bump up for a fruitier beer

I'm going to try and brew this recipe later in the week for a friend... will let you know the outcome!

:mug:

cougfanz said:
Hey...was checking out your skinny dip recipe but never saw any feedback. How did it turn out. Any tweaks. Want to give it a whirl...

This beer is the first to be gone at parties at my house and my friends houses. The ladies love the low calories and hint of lime, and guys like that they can drink a ton of them. It's light, crisp clean ale. We have made close to 100 gallons of this beer.

I have learned that 1oz of Kaffir leafs is WAY to much. We use about 1/2 oz, but I cant remember if we cut up the leafs or not.

The beer is better young then aged. After a while it starts to loose it's flavors and becomes boring. From boiled to carbed and ready to drink is about 10 - 14 days!

I have never used the peach extract.

12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 13.4 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.5 %
3 lbs 5.3 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 59.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 22.4 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 2.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]
0.5 oz Kaffir Lime Leaf - Boil 2min (flame out)

That is exactly what I buy and use.

New Belgium doesn't sell it anymore, so I can't compare it... However I sent a copy of my recipe to them and asked what they thought and the head brewer emailed back and said it looks good to him... and then sent along a bunch of swag a few days later! Maybe I guessed right?

Or maybe not, they sent hats and stickers, not job offers.

Either way it makes for tasty beer that is lite but still interesting to drink.

I year ago I emailed New Belguim for some help with this recipe and this is what they sent me.

> Thanks for the email. Skinny Dip is actually taking a little break from the shelves this year so we can put out brewer's creativity and imagination to work. They have been tinkering for the last few months on a new beer we call Somersault. It is imaginatively delicious... refreshing, light and oh so tantalizing on the taste buds.
>
> Somersault will be around for two summers and then Skinny Dip will make its appearance again.
>
> If you would like to try brewing a Skinny Dip type beer, here are a few suggestions.
>
> Use a base pale malt and some C-40 malt.
> Mash for a long time at a low temperature.
> Use a blend of Cascade and Willamette hops.
> Add the Kaffir at flame out. Only use about an ounce.
> A nice neutral ale yeast fermenting at a cool ale temp should work well.
>
> Let me know if you have any further questions.
> Cheers and have fun!

Holy cow I just started drinking this and used more kaffir than I should have. I should have listened to the earlier post saying not to use too much. It is like a kaffir bomb!

Just brewed this recipe, included 5 of the leaves in the boil, and ended up with a FG of 1.010. Given the yeast that's listed in the recipe (wyeast) the attenuation should be between 73-77%.

Wouldn't this mean my FG is about right, and that 1.003 is a little optimistic? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I just bottled today and trust I might pull a little extra bump from bottle conditioning but it's going to be a pretty weak brew @ approx. 3.2% ABV.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Back