First Non-Kit Brew - "Halloween Party Fuel"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHandle

Reaction score
This will be my first non-kit attempt. I feel comfortable enough to start experimenting now. I plugged this grain bill into the calculator to get the following numbers:

5# Golden Promise (50% of total grist)
2# Gambrinus Honey Malt (20%)
1.5# Biscuit Malt (15%)
1# Munich 10L (10%)
0.5# Golden Naked Oats (5%)
3# Light Brown Sugar
3# Molasses

WLP011 - European Ale Yeast

152-degrees for 75 min

1.5 oz Saaz for 60 min
0.5 oz Whitbread Golding for 35 min

OG = 1.087
FG = 1.028
ABV = 8.4%
IBU = 29

I like my beer malty, bready, sweet, with just enough subtle hops to balance. How is this going to turn out? Any suggestions? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sounds good man. Make sure you give this one PLENTY of time in the secondary. Your chosen sugars may not ferment out completely for a couple of months. Though you should be fine for Halloween, if you can wait that long...

Not quite sure what you're going for here. You say you like sweet/bready yet you are using 6#'s of sugar which will dry & thin the beer out. Sugar does not sweeten a beer. Unfermentables (crystal malts) will sweeten a beer. That's a lot of honey malt and biscuit for any beer. Maybe it will all balance out. Might want to use 1# honey malt, 1# buscuit, 1# of crystal, eliminate the sugar and make up the balance with more pale malt. Just my 2 cents...

Back