First Brew in Arizona Heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huknbuk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to home brewing, just now enjoying my first batch. I'm trying to get my buddy in Arizona involved. The thing is, he's in Arizona and deals with a lot of heat. He has a closet that he can keep at about 78 degrees in the summertime. Is there a style of beer that could strive under these condition? As an added bonus he should keep his SWMBO happy. I'm thinking a fruity wheat, do you guys have any specific suggestions?

There are a few yeast strains that can ferment up to 75 degrees. His best bet is to use an icewater bath to bring the temps down. That way, he's not limited as much.

I agree on the icewater bath. I live in the desert too where we hit temps of 100degF last week. With the icewater bath, temps in my primary were at 67degF.

Get your buddy on the board here - there's a bunch of us that are out here and in Arizona that can give him some help I'm sure.

I'm lucky enough to have a below-ground room to do my work in, so it stays pretty cool in there - I can get it down to the 60's using the tub and a towel. Just put the towel around the bucket (or carboy) and the wick control of the cotton will help keep a cool temp.

I used the old t shirt over the carboy soaked in water...but the darn stick on thermometer strip got all nasty fell apart. So i don't know what my temps ended up being...

ive always used a wet towel around the carboy with a fan blowing directly over it.

Hey its dry here, and its the easiest way to go about this

ive always used a wet towel around the carboy with a fan blowing directly over it.

I did this too with my first batches till I could afford to get a freezer with a temp controller. Now Im at a perfect 65 to 68 degrees all the time. going to be trying a lager soon. :)

I did this too with my first batches till I could afford to get a freezer with a temp controller. Now Im at a perfect 65 to 68 degrees all the time. going to be trying a lager soon. :)

that my next big purchase. I want one of those Pepsi Coolers with the sliding glass doors

Latest posts

Back