Haze Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Brewed an Octoberfest (ale) today and seems to have picked up a strong cloudy appearance going into the primary. Looks like I added chocolate milk to the wort if that makes sense. Was crystal clear coming out of the mash and vouloff(sp) until clean. Seemed to get hot break ok, foamed at start of boil then dropped. Appeared to change to cloudy at my first hop addition, but that was also right after the foam dropped down. Almost all of my brews are crystal clear unless it supposed to be like a hefe. I added Irish Moss as normal so I hope it will help.

Any ideas on what could have caused this? Not worried or anything, just brewing this for a large party we hold every October and hate to serve cloudy beer ;) Plus, learn for next time.

Setup: 10 gallon igloo cooler with stainless "filter" loop and 10 gallon brew pot.

Recipe:
5 lbs pilsner malt
4 lbs Munich malt
1/2 lb caramunich malt
1/2 lb caravienne malt
1 oz Traditional hops - boil 60 min
1 oz Spalt hop - flavor 15 min
Irish Moss last 15 minutes

Honestly man now matter how hazy my brews are going into primary as long as they come out of the bottle clear who cares? Most of the haze drops out during secondary... And most people just throw the bottles in the fridge a couple hours an drink compared to a couple days (aka cold crashing).

Back