First time brewing beer in a long time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
I am generally over on the other site making wine. My dad twisted my arm and asked me to brew him a batch of beer. I just ordered him a Bavarian Hefeweisen kit from northern brewers. Since I make wine most of the time my carboys are 6 gal.

When making beer does head space in the carboy matter as much as it does in Wine?

more. beer ferments generating a krausen, which wine doesn't really at all. still, the beer kits are designed to make 5g, and your carboys are 6g, so no problem

+1

During primary fermentation the yeast will generate lots of c02, as it would with wine. This will lay over the beer like a blanket and protect it from oxidation.

I do 10 gal batches split into 2 6.5 gal carboys and have never had a problem with oxidation. 6 gal carboys may actually be a bit crowed as the ale yeast will create quite a thick cake on top of the beer - you'll need room to accommodate that.

While I am not a fan of the 'blow off tube' (and that's another conversation) you might consider using one in this case or at least keep an eye on your bubbler/airlock to be sure it doesn't get clogged. This is all the more true if you are not closely managing the fermentation temp to keep it in the 68-72 deg range.

i wouldn't worry about either carboy, but to make sure, go for the 7, like pappers says. no reason taking chances if it's sitting there empty. i have several different sizes of fermenters, and even as an experienced brewer, i still used the biggest fermenter with a new recipe

Latest posts

Back