Ale yeast substitutions for lagers - cervesa variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strohbrew

Reaction score
I don't have the proper equipment (or consistent temp conditions in my garage) to lager. My "Clone Brews" book has a couple of recipes for Negra Modelo and Dos Equis. Both call for Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast or Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast. (I think it's interesting that these call for Euro varieties!) I'm looking for an Ale yeast to try that might produce similar characteristics. Any experience with this?

Go for a German ale or kolsch yeast, ferment at the bottom of the temperature range to the best of your ability and you should end up with fairly lager like beer.

rkbarnes82 said:
Go for a German ale or kolsch yeast, ferment at the bottom of the temperature range to the best of your ability and you should end up with fairly lager like beer.

Any experience with the "California Ale" varieties. I've done some digging, and this one seems to keep surfacing.

The two I mentioned would be more lager like in my opinion, California ale is the Chico strand used for lots of pale ales and IPAs although it is fairly clean.

I don't have the proper equipment (or consistent temp conditions in my garage) to lager. My "Clone Brews" book has a couple of recipes for Negra Modelo and Dos Equis. Both call for Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast or Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast. (I think it's interesting that these call for Euro varieties!) I'm looking for an Ale yeast to try that might produce similar characteristics. Any experience with this?

Someone send this table which is very helpful
http://www.yeastcalc.com/guide to yeast.htm

Back