Counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
Has anyone been using a counter pressure bottle filler to move your beer from a keg to the bottle? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm probably not the only one who does this...but I take a standard viper tap, push the plastick spring loaded bottle filler into the end (the one u used to fill bottles from the bottling bucket...but remove the spring loaded portion), and feed it through the center of a rubber stopper that fits the bottle opening. Hook it up to the keg and slowly "burp" the rubber stopper as it fills the bottle. Works like a charm. It does not "purge" the bottle of oxygen first, but I've never had a problem with the beers, even when left in the bottles for 4 months or more. Costs 10 bucks, if you dont own any of the items already.

I have one. There pretty cool but take some fine tuning to get used to the way they work. You might get a bit of foaming the first time around and you might spray beer all over the cieling/walls, lol.

I use a very simple homemade bottle filler. It consists of a picnic tap with about 3' of hose added downstream of the tap. This hose passes through a drilled stopper. Dead easy to make and dead easy to use.

The length of hose past the stopper is just less than the depth of the bottle so it fills from the bottom to minimize foaming. Also, I hold the stopper in place with light hand pressure, this further reduces foaming by maintaining pressure inside the bottle. When near full, remove the hose, and cap over the foam (just like the big boys do).

I use this just to draw off a liter or two into flip top bottles when I want to take some brew along to share. It works great for this.

If you really wanted to bottle from a keg, for sending to competition etc, then a more complex counter pressure filler might work out better.

I made my counter-pressure filler from push-connect fittings and 1/4" polyethylene tubing...easy to clean, easy to store. I have also used the method Curtis2010 describes with success.

Back