An all columbus hop red ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I just whipped up a batch of a clone Amherst brewery anniversary ale, which called for the use of only Columbus hops, which included .75 oz at 5 min and 1 oz at knockout. Afterwards I realized the alpha % is about 15% or so and I read this is a pretty pugent hop. I plan on adding 2 oz of Amarillo as a dry hop, but does anyone see a problem with using this this bittering hop at the end of the boil as flavor and aroma?

Thanks, I've been looking forward to it but have always heard the high alpha hops are not good for flavor/aroma, only for bittering.

Columbus is one of my favorite hop... I do an all Columbus wheat that is one of my favorites.

I am sure you'll be fine, and I'd actually be interest in your recipe.

11.9 lbs pale malt
1.16 lbs carafoam malt
1.16 lbs crystal 20
.58 lbs weyerman melanoiden malt

.5 oz Columbus (60 min)
.75 oz Columbus (45 min)
.75 oz Columbus (5 min)
1 oz Columbus (0 min)

WLP California ale

Give it a try. Sounded good to me. Hope it turns out well.

Thanks, I've been looking forward to it but have always heard the high alpha hops are not good for flavor/aroma, only for bittering.

While this may be true of *some* hops, most of the more recent hops with high alphas are dual use. Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin etc etc, are all good as dual use hops.

Latest posts

Back