cold conditioning and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i am about to keg my first batch of brew. coopers real ale.

i've been reading about this cold conditioning. should i put my primary in the fridge fr a few days, or just keg it, let it condition(2-3 weeks?), then put it in the fridge for a week before i drink it.

also, with force carbonation, once the beer is carbonated, is it ready to drink?
dont i still have to wait a few weeks for it to turn ungreen? (sorry, couldnt think if a term

Yes, you still have have the conditioning step. What I normally do is keep my beers in the fermenter until they are ready, and then keg them and stick them in the kegerator and carbonate them.

You're correct that carbonated green beer is NOT ready to drink- it's just not flat any more. Many of us keg after a couple of weeks in the primary, then do the "secondary" or conditioning phase right in the keg at room temperature. Beer takes a long time to condition at cold temperatures, so if it's young, it's probably more practical to condition it at room temperature and then stick it in the fridge.

ok great. thanks for the info. i will keg today, and let it sit for a couple weeks before i drink it. i figure i'll use priming sugar to carbonate so it will force me to wait.

Back