Just bought my first Chimay blue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stitchman

Reaction score
I did not realize it was bottle carbed like homebrew. Should I pour it all at once like any homebrew or can I do 2 pours?

It is bottle conditioned, but usually the yeast is caked pretty good in the bottom of the bottle. Just pour carefully like you would a homebrew. If it is the big bottle you can do two pours, just be slow and watch for yeast in the pour.

You picked up a great beer. Always a good choice.

Back in the early 90's when it was not widely available here, my wife would bring it home in her suitcase when she went to Europe.

Yeah it is the big bottle w/cork. $19.99 at total wine, kind of an impulse buy. Once I got it home I (of course) searched the internets and found out its bottle carbonated. Its funny that some sites call it "fermented a second time in the bottle". My main concern is pouring it into a glass, then having to stop and stirring up all the settled yeast. The only thing I have that can hold the whole bottle is a 24oz mug.

That is a perfect beer to share. It should also be served in a rounded stemmed glass--a wine glass is fine. Don't worry about two pours. Just take it easy.

Yum. I aged one for three years once. One of the better drinking experiences I have ever had.

Wait I just double checked, and it was $11.99 for the big bottle, the 4 pack was 20. I thought that sounded off when I typed it.

I saved the bottle from the chimay blue for my collection. Good stuff,but the bret or whatever they use in it gives my guts a little sour feeling for a couple days. Sure revs up the system though.

Chimay doesn't use Brett, they don't brew sours. Must have been bad food or something man. Love Chimay, am saving a bottle of blue for when I finish my remodel

Belgian trippels & the like always taste a hair sour to me,as did the chimay blue. Not sure if that one was bad or good. But the corked bottle sat upright,rather than at an angle to keep the cork moistened.

Belgian trippels & the like always taste a hair sour to me,as did the chimay blue. Not sure if that one was bad or good. But the corked bottle sat upright,rather than at an angle to keep the cork moistened.

You don't need to store Belgians on their side.You want to store them upright so the yeast cakes on the bottom. None of Chimay's brews are sour or done with Brett, so they should not taste sour. The Blue is not a Tripel but a BDSA.

Well,I figured since wine bottles with corks are properly stored at an angle so the liquid just laps at the cork,the trub would still be almost at the bottom. As for that bottle,idk?...

Latest posts

Back