Think I screwed up pitching liuis yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelj

Reaction score
I'm a noob on my second batch a Dark Winter Wheat kit. It was recommended that I substitute the powder yeast pack with a pouch of liquid yeast. The directions on the kit didn't really explain the process of prepping the yeast. When it came time for pitching yeast, I just took the pouch out of the fridge sanitized the outside of the pack, cut it and poured it in. Oops ... There was a second Pouch in the pouch. After looking at the packet I realized that I was supposed to squeeze it to break the inner packet and let it sit at room temp for a couple hours. Crap! Now what?

So I just cut open the inner packet and poured that into the wort too. Is there any chance this batch will still turn out? Is there anything I can do now to help it? Should just pour it out and count it as the cost of education? Advice please?

DO NOT POUR IT OUT. The beer will turn out fine. One issue with liquid yeast is that one packet normally doesn't have the cell count needed for a five gallon batch and that is why you will hear people talking about making starters. Next time you pitch liquid yeast try making a starter or pitching multiple pouches. There are multiple yeast pitching rate calculator on the internet (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html). Once again your beer will be fine.

So does that mean that the fermentation process could take longer than the recommended 7-10 days?

Fermentation should take about the same time. The potential problems are:

- It will take longer to start, allowing more time for any other contaminants to spoil the wort before the yeast starts.
- You can get more fusel alcohols and other flavors from the yeast due to it being stressed.
- It may not attenuate completely.

Please note, these are only potential problems. You may not notice anything wrong.

It wouldn't hurt to add the packet of dry yeast that came with the kit. That will get your counts up.

If the liquid yeast you're using is a hefeweizen yeast, stressing it too much can really bring out the banana notes.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Unfortunately, I traded the dry for the liquid yeast so I can't add the dry packet. It's been 48 hours and I'm not seeing much activity in the airlock yet. I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

Alright, we've reached the 60 hour mark since pitching yeast and see very little activity. Considering running up to the brew store and getting a dry packet to pitch on top. Opinions?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading to make sure it hasnt been fermenting?

What was the brew OG? (OG over 1.060 can take longer to start)

How old was the yeast? ( the smack packs have a date on it. Older yeast could take longer to start.)

Anyways, it could take up to 72 hours to show active fermentation for liquid yeast pitched without a starter.

OG was 1058. I took a look at the wort and there is a thin blanket of foam on top. I'm gonna just let it sit till I'm ready to move it to secondary and take another reading then.

midfielder5 said:
I wouldnt secondary a wheat beer. but anyways good luck

Since I'm new to this can you explain why you would move a wheat beer to secondary? I'm following the directions on the kit so I'd just like to hear the reasoning. Thanks!

therr are differing opinions. here are mine:
1) generally, secondaries are not necessary unless you add fruit, oak or possbly dry hop;
2) wheat beers are to be drank fresh, no need to age your beer;
3) kit instructions generally reflect old outdated information.

So you recommend bottling right after the 10-day fermentation period or keeping it in the primary for 3 weeks?

Since you underpitched the amount of yeast, I wouldnt do anything (package or transfer it) until you taste it and take a hydrometer reading. It might not be ready in 10 days (10-14 days is normal ferm time for most beers w temp control & proper amt of yeast).

Back