Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evansbrew

Reaction score
One quick question. I am currently brewing a scotch ale and I just added the LME into the batch and my question is does the boil start directly after I have added the LME or do i wait for it to actually come to a boil? I dont want to over do it.
Cheers! :mug:

Opps! Just noticed the date/time stamp on your OP so I assume you improvised your way through it. For extract beers the boil is mostly just to extract and isomerize the alpha acids from the hops. Boiling, or rather temperatures very close to boiling are necessary for the alpha acid to isomerize into a soluble form - otherwise they'd just drop out of solution and you wouldn't taste them in your finished beer. The "utilization curve" that shows how much alpha acid is extracted from the hops over a given boil time starts leveling out at about 60 minutes. That's why most recipes don't call for a hop addition longer than 60 minutes.

If you called your wort "boiling" when it was really just heating up you may get a little less bittering from your hops, since for part of that time (maybe ten minutes or so? fifteen?) the temperature was too low to isomerize the alpha acid. So in that case the boil would have been effectively only 50 minutes instead of 60. It's really not that big of a deal. Depending on the recipe, and with all the other variables in home brewing, there's a good chance you won't be able to tell the difference.

In any case, you made beer! :)

Back