First post-First project, Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatfire6

Reaction score
Happy New Year folks!

Since we are all people who like to do it their own way, I felt the desire to make my own chiller rather than just buy one off the shelf. I picked up some tubing already coiled, as well as two pieces of straight pipe. I connected everything with elbows and soldered everything, including the connectors for the hose connectors. The inside diameter is 1/2 inch, outside diameter is 5/8 inch.

The two up pipes go high, but that was intentional for my kitchen. The clothes washing machine is feet away from my kitchen sink, so this will allow me to do everything in my kitchen by placing the brew kettle between both.

As I am a noob to brewing and making things on my own, I will appreciate constructive criticism and suggestions, just don't be harsh! lol :)

DSC01798-1.jpg

DSC01799-1.jpg

You have a washer, dryer, stove & dishwasher all next to each other. Sweet!

Nice set up with the chiller.

Looks great, but I also wondered about running that burner inside. You do have some serious ventilation, right?

So the chiller is a little overkill for the small pot, but I'm planning on doing full boils in a much bigger kettle. I want to eventually to 1/2 barrel kegs using a brewhemoth as a fermenter, but that will take time due to the costs involved.

The cost of materials was not too excessive. The cost of copper is kinda crazy at around $50. I'm happy with that at the end of the day.

As for the ventilation - I don't normally brew indoors, only during the winter. When I do brew indoors, I have the stove vent going full blast and of the downstairs windows open for fresh air and to cool the house down. Due to your concerns, I think I will buy a carbon monoxide detector and put it in the kitchen as a precaution, however, I am not worried that I have a lack of ventilation. I also closely monitor the flames to make sure it isn't running lean or too rich.

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Back