New Dead Guy with 1/2 gal pacman starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
well i just finished brewing my dead guy clone, i made the starter in a 5 gal carboy. at first i was worried with all the air space, however it wasnt a problam at all. the air alock was stall popping when i pitched it. the crazy thing was i normal get some lag time. my last stater picked up i about 6 hrs, but it was only two cups. well the thing that made my draw drop was while i was clean i noticed that the beer was already popping. it couldnt have been more then 30-40 mins and has started up. well i figure i may be on watch for the night to make sure this carboy doesnt blow all over the office.:drunk:

well i dont know about any record but.. its popping away. for a bit i thought that it didn't mix well an the starter was sitting on the foam head for aireating. so i gave it a couple of soft shake to make sure it mixed down through the foam. and it still dont. i timed it right now at a pop every 53 seconds. i dont know does this sound werid to you guys? i was only cleaning for like i said 30 -40 mins and i noticed that the air lock was popping. well to be on the safe side its in a 6.5 gal carboy and i have towels setup around the room to protect stuff. well ill keep you all posted later today:mug:

You might want to think about a blow off- it sounds pretty vigorous. I'm brewing my Dead Guy tomorrow- I made about 1/2 gallon starter and I'm thinking blowoff tube for sure. I already cleaned up one mess (albeit small) this week.

Lorena

(the_bird has me thinking every thing I write sounds dirty. Must be my imagination)

My last four beers have been with Pacman and I haven't had any blowoff situations. My last beer was a slurry repitch and I also had activity within an hour.

Each beer has been pretty much the same. I get about a two inch krausen that almost gets to the slope of a 6 gallon carboy and stays put. For each beer I used a 1/2 gallon starter except for a 60 Schilling Scottish Ale that had a 1.039 SG.

I have been so spoiled by Pacman fermentations, I didn't bother with a blowoff tube when I did a Kölsch last week. Sure enough, I had krausen in the airlock.

ill see how it goes. i just got home from work the room smells like a good brew and i must say i have never seen the aitlock poping off like it is now and well so soon. but if it makes it way out of the 6.5 gal carboy then damn im in some trouble. well until later.. ill keep you all posted.

hey Lorena just think your recipe is going on this thing next should be a nice start as well. :tank:

Back