American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm adding it as a dry hop when fermentation is finished.

Just took a hydro sample of this beer (about 11 days in the primary). SG was 1.062, right now it's 1.020.

But WOW did the sample taste great. I'd be happy if it didn't change a bit from where it is right now. I can usually tell from the sample, what the beer might eventually taste like, but I mean, I could just pull a pint from the fermenter and drink it right now. I *love* amarillo hops. I'll be using them a lot from now on.

Thanks for the recipe, OP. This is easily the best thing I've brewed so far.

I just bought the ingrediants for this recipe but as an all Summit with a dryhop. I'm really looking forward to enjoying the finished product.

I am going to try this recipe but I will use 1# of 40L. Anyone know what that might change?

The amarillo IPA is awesome! Thanks a lot for the recipe. I love it.

I'll be brewing this one regularly.

iPhoneUpload.jpg

Yeah, but only because I was dry hopping and wanted to wash the yeast from the primary. Didn't want to get all the hops pellet sediment in the yeast.

Do you think I will be ok not going to secondary? Just let it go 4 weeks?

So I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this one... But I have a question about the amount of hops used. It seems like people are using 5 oz instead of 4. I'm wondering how things will turn out if I use 4 oz but use a full boil (instead of the 3 gal boil that the recipe calls for) with late extract additions. Higher hops utilization?

Thanks!

Yes, you should get higher hops utilization with a full boil.

I brewed mine with a full boil and also the additional 1 oz dry hop. The dry hops are all aroma, naturally, and won't affect bitterness. I probably got a few more IBUs from the full boil as compared to a partial boil though.

The ferment temp on this recipe says 60 degrees. I am in Southern CA and it is summer right now! Do you think I can ferment this beer in the coolest darkest place possible? Could be around 70 degrees, maybe reach 75 F.

All depends on the yeast. I think you'd be fine at 70. 75 might be pushing it a little.

I fermented it at 66 with yeast from Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and it was fine.

Thanks.

I went to buy Safale 05...they did not have it. So I figured out that Wyeast 1056 American, could work. So that is what I will be using. We will see!

Oh, and they also did not have Crystal 40, so I grabbed the closest...Crystal 20L. Lets see how this comes out.

This recipe with the slight modifications I mentioned earlier in the thread, won Best of Show at the 2009 Kentucky State Fair over 298 other beers.

Go brew it now. :D

Well my batch seems to be coming along fine. Transferred to the secondary fermenter at 1.015 gravity. Taste seems like there is no problems. Temp here has been pushing it at around 75, sometimes 77. Been keeping the a/c on at 75. Next time I will try a bath with water like I have seen many do in this forum. 3 more weeks...Thanks!

And congrats Rick500 on the medal!!! I will check out your mod. And thanks OP for the recipe!! I am sure this will turn out fantastic!

Just cleaned up from brewing this batch this evening. Because it was such a nice night outside, I went ahead and did a full boil. Started by steeping the 1/2lb of Crystal 40L in 1.5gal @ 160F for 20 minutes while I was heating up the remaining 5.5 gallons. I ended up starting the boil with a hair over 7 gallons in my 30qt pot...thank the brewing gods for Fermcap :rockin: I boiled for 60 minutes following the recommended hop schedule also threw a little Irish Moss in with 10 minutes left. Ended up putting approximately 6 gallons in the fermenter with a re-hydrated pack of US-05 and now I wait for the magic to happen :) The extra water brought my OG down to 1.052, a little shy of a BJCP style American IPA, but I'm sure it'll turn out just fine :)

Here are a couple of kettle shots at the beginning of the boil:

batch12-1.jpg

batch12-3.jpg

I'll post back when I rack and bottle.

Curt

Looking good. You'll be addicted to Amarillo after this batch, if you're not already.

My all-grain batch should be ready in a week and a half. Can't wait.

Hey yall. I'm gettin ready to do my second batch. I was considering using a crystal 20 instead of 40 and using 8 lbs of DME. How would this change the end result from what the original recipe calls for? I was very happy with my alteration of the original recipe when I first made this so I might just have to stick with that. Your thoughts?

20 would give you a lighter colour beer. No flavour changes.

an extra lb of DME means a high OG and therefore higher alcohol %. According to my beersmith new OG would be 1.073 and around a 7% ABV. If you didn't change the hop schedule you'd get a maltier beer.

I don't know what your previous alterations were though.

Just brewed this this past weekend. I made a little boo boo, but nothing that should drastically affect the outcome of the brew.

I added 3 gallons (edit: pounds) of the DME at the beginning of the boil, and planned to add the remaining 4 gallons (edit: pounds) nearing the end of the boil. I get to the end of the boil, finish off my hop schedule, and put the kettle in the ice bath, only to realize that I forgot the other 4 lbs of DME. I rushed it back on the burner (by now it had only cooled to 180F) and added the remaining DME. Fearing that I was going to lose a lot of the hop flavor and aroma to the added boil time, I added another ounce of Amarillo (5 oz. total at this point. at flame out. I was saving that ounce for dry-hopping, in case I needed it, but figured this was more important. So I'll probably just end up with a slightly more bitter IPA (which is never really a problem IMO).

Looking good. You'll be addicted to Amarillo after this batch, if you're not already.

My all-grain batch should be ready in a week and a half. Can't wait.

I know its only been like exactly a week and a half, but have you tried this yet? I am looking to make an AG version of this as well. If yours turned out good I'd love to know how you converted the recipe to AG.

I'm kegging it this evening. I'll let you know how it turned out after it carbs up.

The hydro sample tasted really good though.

I just got a slightly modified version into bottles last night. My recipe:

.5 lb Crystal 40L
6.5 lb Light LME
2.8 lb Amber LME
.5 oz Magnum at 60
.5 oz Amarillo at 60
Another ounce and a half of Amarillo continuously added during the boil, dry hopping another ounce of Amarillo.
OG 1.070
FG 1.025

Hydro sample tasted great, we'll see what it's like in 3 weeks.

[Edit: This is for six gallons.]

Here's mine:

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0 SRM) 95.59%
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 4.41%
1.63 oz Amarillo (9.00%) (60 min) 53.7 IBU
1.10 oz Amarillo (9.00%) (15 min) 9.7 IBU
1.10 oz Amarillo (9.00%) (5 min) 6.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (9.00%) (0 min) -
1.17 oz Amarillo (9.00%) (Dry Hop 10 days) -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs Bell's Ale Yeast from Two-Hearted Ale (Starter 2000 ml)

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes.
Ferment for 14 days before dry hopping.
Ferment at 66F.

OG 1.062
FG 1.013
69.4 IBUs (Rager)
6.4 SRM
6.4% ABV

Okay, it's carbed up. It's wonderful.

I can't say better than the extract version -- it's really just the same (which is great!).

This batch is a little higher in alcohol than the last batch. The yeast brought the gravity down a little lower than last batch.

Just brewed this up but added an extra ounce of hops. I did a 2.75 gal boil and added 1/2 the dme at 15 min. cant wait to see how this come out. the sample tasted great!

1.75 oz Amarillo 8%AA for 60 Min
1.25 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 15 Min
1.25 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 5 Min
.75 oz Amarillo 8%AA for at flameout

I'm pretty happy with this guy; it was really green after the first 2 weeks or so in the bottle, but now it's leveling out nicely. Great lacing and head, good hop kick.

Both the extract and the all-grain batch of this beer that I brewed, had/have an awesome creamy head and great lacing. Not sure what to attribute that to, it's only 2-row and crystal malt and hops... But I'm really happy with the way it's turned out both times.

I am going to give this brew a shot next week. Just a few questions to make sure it turns out as tasty as you guys say it is.

First, my brew shop doesn't carry safale, so what would you guys recommend? I know they carry Nottingham, would that be a good substitute? And should it be ok without a starter?

I am planning on doing a late extract addition(3.5 lbs start, and 3.5 lbs with 10 minutes remaining). I also plan on steeping the grains in 1.5 gallons of water. My question is how much water should I use for the boil, and what temp do you guys boil it at?

My last question for now is how do you guys aerate it?

Sorry for all the questions, this will only be my third batch and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks

The first batch of this beer I brewed was an extract batch, and I did a full boil.

Use cultured Bell's ale yeast, or WLP051 or Wyeast 1272, if you can get it, or Safale-05 or Nottingham if that's what's available. You don't need a starter with Safale-05 or Nottingham.

Late extract addition is a great idea, and is how I brewed my extract batch.

Boiling water is always 212F, give or take a few degrees based on your altitude. Just a nice rolling boil is all you need. As long as the surface is rolling at least a little, it's fine.

When it's cool, put the wort into your fermenter and shake it around for 5 minutes. That's plenty of aeration.

Good luck! You'll love this beer.

Thanks a lot for the help Rick, thats exactly what I was looking for. I have read that you cool it down to 75 degrees before you pitch the yeast... does this sound on track? And last question for now is how much yeast do I need to pitch for a 5 gallon batch? My brew shop sells 20g packs, but they say they use them for 10 gallon batches so use half for a 5 gallon. How much do you guys pitch?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie, and I will be sure to keep you guys posted on how the brew is coming along.

75F is fine... 70F would be better, but it's not a huge deal. Just try to control your fermentation temperature for at least 3 days or so. 65F to 68F would be optimal. With Nottingham, the lower part of that range would be best.

Well I got some sh#tty news, no brew shop within an hour of me carries amarillo hops!!!!! I have looked at some cross-references and it looks like cascade is the closest I will be able to get. Do you guys think it will come out at all the same? I know it will still taste like beer, but will it be good?

Well I got some sh#tty news, no brew shop within an hour of me carries amarillo hops!!!!! I have looked at some cross-references and it looks like cascade is the closest I will be able to get. Do you guys think it will come out at all the same? I know it will still taste like beer, but will it be good?

Having not made this beer yet, but getting closer and closer (basically just waiting to run out of hops so I can convince SWMBO to let me put in a new order with hopsdirect), I can tell you that it will definitely taste different. The general recipe is pretty basic, malt-wise, so what makes a beer like this is the hops.

That said, an all-Cascade version of this would probably also be fantastic. Lots of IPAs are made with cascades, and they're usually pretty great.

But if you're really itchin' to make this, hopsdirect has Amarillo for something like $11.75/lb. Won't get much cheaper than that!

I just got this into the fermentor. However, Now that I see the original recipe I realize that I used too much Chrystal Malt. I used 1lb. What should I expect... aside from great tasting beer!?!?

It'll be a little darker and maybe a little sweeter. Should be good though!

Latest posts

Back