US or Imperial Gallons in Daniels' Designing Great Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgmol

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. I can't seem to find any mention of which is used inside the book itself.

US gallons. Who uses imperial gallons? :)

The book is published by Brewers Publications, a division of the Brewers Association. It's a U.S. organization and I believe Ray Daniels, the author, is an American.

Pie_Man said:
US gallons. Who uses imperial gallons? :)

The book is published by Brewers Publications, a division of the Brewers Association. It's a U.S. organization and I believe Ray Daniels, the author, is an American.

I think you'll find the civilised world uses Imperial gallons.

I think you'll find the civilised world uses Imperial gallons.

But Americans *never* do. And it never occurs to us that anyone wouldn't realize that. (Which I think was the intent of the post which I think was supposed to be a joke.)

If the book is American than it is definitely U.S. gallons.

I'm another american who has never heard of imperial gallons. I always thought it was our us gallon and then the metric system.
from wikipedia.

The imperial gallon
The imperial (UK) gallon, defined as 4.54609 litres, is used in some Commonwealth countries and was originally based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 °F (17 °C). (A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds at the same temperature.) The imperial fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon.

Look at page 32 and 33

He's referring to grains having 36.3, 36.0, and 35.6 gravity units per lb/gallon.

Those are the numbers for us gallons. For an imperial gallon the numbers would only 80% as high.

I'm another american who has never heard of imperial gallons.
Seriously? You hadn't?

Canada and Australia and England all used imperial gallons until 40 years ago or so. When I was in the BVI 13 years ago you bought your gas in liters, your food in u.s. ounces and your water in imperial gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at page 32 and 33

He's referring to grains having 36.3, 36.0, and 35.6 gravity units per lb/gallon.

Those are the numbers for us gallons. For an imperial gallon the numbers would only 80% as high.

In addition, Chapter 7 is titled Beer Color, not Beer Colour. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
woozy said:
But Americans *never* do. And it never occurs to us that anyone wouldn't realize that. (Which I think was the intent of the post which I think was supposed to be a joke.)

If the book is American than it is definitely U.S. gallons.

It confuses the hell out of me. I'm wondering why kits I brew have less ABV than the videos I see on YouTube and have only recently realised they are seeing 5 gallon Coopers kits (having no idea what 23 litres is) and are brewing it to the lesser 5 US gallons rather than the correct (and civilised) 5 Imperial gallons.

It confuses the hell out of me. I'm wondering why kits I brew have less ABV than the videos I see on YouTube and have only recently realised they are seeing 5 gallon Coopers kits (having no idea what 23 litres is) and are brewing it to the lesser 5 US gallons rather than the correct (and civilised) 5 Imperial gallons.

Well, I'm all for bashing the ugly arrogant american. But you do realize that every country using the imperial gallon switched to metric over 40 years ago, don't you? Thus is you ever see any modern publication that uses gallons you pretty much have to assume it is a publication using american statute measures as american statute measures are the only system that still use gallons at all.

To presume "well, obviously as the american statute system of measures is barbaric, I will assume this book is using our method forty years out of date, despite that the publication is clearly american" just shows that you brits, when you put mind to it, can out-ugly and out-arrogant us with one lobe tied behind your brains.

Coopers like to confuse the home brewer. They market 23 liter kits and 19 liter kits. Sometimes they label them as 5 or 6 gallons depending on where the expected market is. Neither the 5 or 6 gallon label refers to the UK gallon.

Yeah, lets settle down with the "civilised" comments already. Once is funny twice is stupid, 3 times is a spanking.

If the whole world is doing something one way and you think it should be done another...don't assume the world is going to fall in line...if you want to get anything accomplished anyway.

woozy said:
Well, I'm all for bashing the ugly arrogant american. But you do realize that every country using the imperial gallon switched to metric over 40 years ago, don't you? Thus is you ever see any modern publication that uses gallons you pretty much have to assume it is a publication using american statute measures as american statute measures are the only system that still use gallons at all.

To presume "well, obviously as the american statute system of measures is barbaric, I will assume this book is using our method forty years out of date, despite that the publication is clearly american" just shows that you brits, when you put mind to it, can out-ugly and out-arrogant us with one lobe tied behind your brains.

Most kits I see in the UK are advertised as 40 pint kits (which you fill to the 23 litre mark).

We can think in Imperial and metric.

I suppose it just shows our superiority to the rest of the world ;)

jbaysurfer said:
Yeah, lets settle down with the "civilised" comments already. Once is funny twice is stupid, 3 times is a spanking.

If the whole world is doing something one way and you think it should be done another...don't assume the world is going to fall in line...if you want to get anything accomplished anyway.

You might want to lighten up, mate.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured it would be the US gallon, but I wanted to double check before I really botched a recipe!

I would be intersted in reading a review of this book. Looking for less of how to brew book, and more of a developing unique recipes book.

Also... hoping it doesn't solely focus on all grain.

Also... hoping it doesn't solely focus on all grain.

It has one chapter on using extract and then the rest of the book focuses on all-grains. The idea though is that the extract/partial masher will read the chapter on extract and learn intelligent extract substitution and then apply those to the rest of the book about all-grain.

You might want to lighten up, mate.

We can think in Imperial and metric.

I suppose it just shows our superiority to the rest of the world ;)

What's four times? A poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

We've all had our fun. We've made fun of the ugly arrogant american (once; which is just enough to be funny) and at the self-righteous, smug but archiac and inneffectual brit (four times which is three times too many). And we've determined that the book in question uses US statute measures.

Time to move on.

We've all had our fun. We've made fun of the ugly arrogant american (once; which is just enough to be funny) and at the self-righteous, smug but archiac and inneffectual brit (four times which is three times too many). And we've determined that the book in question uses US statute measures.

Time to move on.

I'm not sure. I always stopped after the spanking.

Hey OP, I'm chill "mate". ;-) :mug:

woozy said:

Time to move on.

You're the one who keeps taking a joke the wrong way, soft lad. That is why I said relax.

If I wanted to troll your jingoism I would have said something like:

I think you'll find "civilized" nations abolished slavery many years before your own. Plus those nations didn't need a civil war to do it.

You're the one who keeps taking a joke the wrong way, soft lad. That is why I said relax.

If I wanted to troll your jingoism I would have said something like:

I think you'll find "civilized" nations abolished slavery many years before your own. Plus those nations didn't need a civil war to do it.

Wow, if only that trolling were hypothetical ^

Back