The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reno_eNVy said:
Ugh.... my pride is severely damaged :D

But seriously, that was awful. LA made some great chances while it was still 1-0 but then lost their push.

Also, terrible officiating. I saw at least two hand-balls in the box as well as a judo takedown by Seattle.

Oh well, LA has gone 7-2-2 since they got their s**t together so a slip is acceptable... for now...

Haha sorry had to rib ya for that

Still can't find a replay of the USWNT vs Canada.... because NBC apparently says, "F**k you."

Update on Urso: Initial autopsy claims an "apparent natural death, but we don't know why." They noticed some "heart changes" but the toxicology report could take up to 6 weeks. Warzycha has visited the family and offered his personal condolences.

Still can't find a replay of the USWNT vs Canada.... because NBC apparently says, "F**k you."

Update on Urso: Initial autopsy claims an "apparent natural death, but we don't know why." They noticed some "heart changes" but the toxicology report could take up to 6 weeks. Warzycha has visited the family and offered his personal condolences.

Doh, it didn't even occur to me that some people might not be watching it live. I'm sorry if I ruined it for you...

No it's okay. Due to the websites I go to it's near impossible to avoid soccer results. I finally found a replay, though. I don't see what the "controversy" is that the Canadians are talking about... it was 100% a handball in the box.

No it's okay. Due to the websites I go to it's near impossible to avoid soccer results. I finally found a replay, though. I don't see what the "controversy" is that the Canadians are talking about... it was 100% a handball in the box.

First off, USA fan and happy they get to play for the gold. That said, the controversy is that the 6 second call on the Canadian keeper that set up the handball pk was ridiculous. While technically correct, that call is virtually never made, especially at that level in a semi-final. Additionally, they wanted a handling call on Rapinoe earlier that was not called(it shouldn't have been).

Overall the game was great, but the referee completely lost control in the 2nd half and E.T. (ex. Wambach getting hacked down multiple times, then putting her studs into a Canadian's shin). Go USA!!!

I heard on the radio this morning that the Canadian keeper had been warned several times for holding the ball too long, sometimes upwards of 20 seconds. Great game, its too bad the US doesn't have better coverage of the games. I seem to remember much broader TV coverage when I was younger. Its all so hyped and dramatic like reality TV, you seem to only hear about the athletes with crazy life obstacles they had to overcome to get to the Olympics. Or the bitter rivalries amongst teammates like Lochte and Phelps.

BainbridgeBrewer said:
I heard on the radio this morning that the Canadian keeper had been warned several times for holding the ball too long, sometimes upwards of 20 seconds.

This. As a keeper I can say it's rarely called but persistent infraction will most certainly get a call, much like a field player getting a yellow for persistent, seemingly-harmless fouls.

Did anyone see the Timbers latest trade? :mad: I have no idea what the management is thinking lately but it doesn't seem to be anything good.

Yeah that's a weird trade. There's no problem for Portland in front of the net... it's their defense that needs an overhaul.

Joker said:
Did anyone see the Timbers latest trade? :mad: I have no idea what the management is thinking lately but it doesn't seem to be anything good.

I miss the days when I could laugh at Philly and Nowak with the knowledge that a circus like that wasn't going to happen in Portland.

Theres a wheel? i think they ripped it off put their hands behind their head and said F it lets see how it rides.

Where does MLS get their talent pool from? Is there a draft? Is there college soccer? I assume club teams world wide...that would be a tough scouting assignment.

Timbers are really good, right?

HoppyDaze said:
Where does MLS get their talent pool from? Is there a draft? Is there college soccer? I assume club teams world wide...that would be a tough scouting assignment.

Timbers are really good, right?

SuperDraft, Supplemental Draft, and outside talent via the allocation process. Plenty of worldwide scouting. And club academies are finally picking up steam, which is how all of the big clubs around the world find talent. Plus there's also promotion/relegation in other leagues that make talent more easily accessible (but would not work in America unless NASL became a bigger force or MLS got so big that there would be MLS and MLS2)

And Portland is one of the clubs that's been around since the 70's, like Seattle, Vancouver, and San Jose. They have history as well as fantastic and feverish supporters and are good on paper... but for some reason it doesn't translate to positive results.

They are still green (BA DA CHA) in the world of MLS, though. Expansion teams often take time to build up speed.

Maybe I'm just being biased here, but Salazar seems to be calling a whole lot against the Sounders. Not saying we aren't deserving on some, but I see plenty of similar fouls committed by KC that aren't called or are just normal fouls. He should be spreading out the yellows a little better. Lets hope penalty shots go our way!

Boy I love it when Seattle gets called straight up.

(it would have been better for the game if SKC had also been called on everything, but what can I say... all I have left this season is Seattears).

But did Gspurning not jump the gun?

Between that, the drop-ball (seriously, when does that ever get done in the pros?), and the 6-second rule in the USAvCAN match, this has been a week of severe attention to details in the Laws of the Game.

Replace "Jeffrey" with "Timbers" and that's about right. Timbers management basically just falls down and pees on themselves...

533154_10151149798676672_997426339_n.jpg

Just a reminder that the US gold medal match is going to be on at 11:45 Pacific time. There's no excuse to not watch it live. If you're recording it for later, there WILL be spoilers in this thread.

Reno_eNVy said:
But did Gspurning not jump the gun?

Between that, the drop-ball (seriously, when does that ever get done in the pros?), and the 6-second rule in the USAvCAN match, this has been a week of severe attention to details in the Laws of the Game.

The replay they showed in slow motion sure didnt look like he did. So i dont know how the ref was able to see that in real time

Its ok i hope this serves as motivation to win the mls title now that we lost our bread and butter.

I really hope that they do away with the Open cup home field advantage i didnt like it even when seattle won it. This should be a neutral site game.

Id like to explain that my anger is beer lack of sleep and general discontent for going to work.

The replay they showed in slow motion sure didnt look like he did. So i dont know how the ref was able to see that in real time
I believe the ref was aware of Gspurnings tendency to jump the gun and probably created some bias.

I really hope that they do away with the Open cup home field advantage i didnt like it even when seattle won it. This should be a neutral site game.
Well the key difference is that the last three years, Seattle bought the home field advantage. SKC got it due to seeding. A neutral site would yield crappy attendance and, in my most humble opinion, should most certainly not be done.

Reno_eNVy said:
I believe the ref was aware of Gspurnings tendency to jump the gun and probably created some bias.

Well the key difference is that the last three years, Seattle bought the home field advantage. SKC got it due to seeding. A neutral site would yield crappy attendance and, in my most humble opinion, should most certainly not be done.

I thought that they had a sealed bid for the venue or was i mistaken

I thought that they had a sealed bid for the venue or was i mistaken

I believe next years is going to 100% seeding, but this year was a nice interim between bid and seed. Some of the clubs put in bids, and from there the winner was essentially determined by monetary value as well as the results of the semi-finals.

Ahh. Im still pissed about the blocked goal. Watching it on my grainy computer yelling at the ref.

I was watching the replay and its pretty apparent that SKC's keeper was moving off the line just as much as Gspurning. Not to beat a dead horse, I just want consistency. I'm not pissed about being called for it, I'm pissed that SKC wasn't called for the same things we were the entire game. I wanted to grab that keeper's tongue ever time he stuck it out and wiggled it around his mouth. Obviously that's what caused Ozzie and Eddie to sky their balls over the net. Still on the fence about Scott's handball in the box. could have gone either way. Too bad, time to focus on MLS Cup now. That extra time and PK's gave me extra time to drink another couple lagers I made using my new lagering fridge!

I was watching the replay and its pretty apparent that SKC's keeper was moving off the line just as much as Gspurning. Not to beat a dead horse, I just want consistency. I'm not pissed about being called for it, I'm pissed that SKC wasn't called for the same things we were the entire game. I wanted to grab that keeper's tongue ever time he stuck it out and wiggled it around his mouth. Obviously that's what caused Ozzie and Eddie to sky their balls over the net. Still on the fence about Scott's handball in the box. could have gone either way. Too bad, time to focus on MLS Cup now. That extra time and PK's gave me extra time to drink another couple lagers I made using my new lagering fridge!

Okay, after watching a replay I still stick by my guns that Gspurning was the culprit. I even did a frame-by-frame slowdown (man, video editing software on Ubuntu is quality... AND FREE!!) and every other instance both keepers took a step during the PK-takers swing, keeping the other foot on the goal-line... 100% legal. The difference is that, on the PK in question, Gspurning bunny-hopped off the line during Nagamura's approach, a good couple steps before his swing. Again, in my most humble of opinions, it was the right call.

And as for Nielsons "Lizard Man" look... I'm going with it throws shooters off by creeping them out:

Mildly NSFW

"We're not like the others... the 'normals.' They lack the wherewithal to cup their hands like a vulva and go 'lulululululululululu'"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reno_eNVy said:
Okay, after watching a replay I still stick by my guns that Gspurning was the culprit. I even did a frame-by-frame slowdown (man, video editing software on Ubuntu is quality... AND FREE!!) and every other instance both keepers took a step during the PK-takers swing, keeping the other foot on the goal-line... 100% legal. The difference is that, on the PK in question, Gspurning bunny-hopped off the line during Nagamura's approach, a good couple steps before his swing. Again, in my most humble of opinions, it was the right call.

And as for Nielsons "Lizard Man" look... I'm going with it throws shooters off by creeping them out:

Mildly NSFW
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM1_B7U0PdU

Yet it took you frame by frame software to see that. Real time give me a break. BAH! Just angry. But like i said i hope this gives the motivation to go out and win the mls title.

Yet it took you frame by frame software to see that. Real time give me a break. BAH! Just angry. But like i said i hope this gives the motivation to go out and win the mls title.

Agreed. But yeah, that ref was all over the place anyway... it was apparent from the beginning that there wasn't going to be any consistency in calls for either side. Unfortunately the one that really mattered went in favor of SKC.

And Seattle are looking great in the league right now. The finally figured out how to get results in the first half of the season instead of relying on an out-of-control push from Montero in September and October.

Also... what's up with Chivas this year? TWO SuperClasico matches in a row that actually matter?! And this one could be the turning point for playoff standings?! GTFO!!

"Well the key difference is that the last three years, Seattle bought the home field advantage. SKC got it due to seeding. A neutral site would yield crappy attendance and, in my most humble opinion, should most certainly not be done"

Not correct. These were sealed bids that were determined to be "equal", but never disclosed. A coin toss was done, but never seen, and the game was awarded to KC. It doesn't hurt that members of the KC organization sit on the board for this... Just poor administrative form. In this day and age when everything is on the net, there is no real excuse not to show the coin toss. Also please note.. the first Seattle cup win was in DC not Seattle.

The problem for US soccer is the appearance of match fixing in this entire process. Absolutely no transparency. Things easily fixed at little or no cost to make things clear. They chose not to do those things and have a self created cloud over the cup.

As far as Salazar goes, he and the Seattle latin players hate each other, have for years. He doesn't respect them and they don't respect him. I wonder about his selection as there is a history of problems when he calls a Seattle game. The slow yellow on Ozzie in the first four minutes was because he grabbed Ozzie's shoulder and tried to turn him around and Ozzie slapped his hand off his shoulder. yellow card. A ref has no business grabbing a player who is moving back to set up for the free kick. Salazar has a bad habit of talking too much, sort of baiting Seattle's players. He just isn't a good fit for a fair ref in games where Seattle plays. You can go back to the games he's done in the past with Seattle and see a pattern of fouls and calls. Seattle should have protested prior to the match.

But in the end it comes down to three Seattle players blowing their kicks. Had any one of them made theirs, more kicks. Had two made theirs Seattle owns it's fourth cup.

Back