Campden for sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rniles

Reaction score
Think it was Yooper but someone gave an amount of campden tablets per cup or fraction thereof for sanitizing.

Could someone re-post the amount of campden tablets per whatever amount of water that was.

Yooper - how many campden tablets do you use and how much water for sanitizing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yooper - how many campden tablets do you use and how much water for sanitizing?

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't used the campden tablets- I've used the "powder" stuff. You use 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons to "equal" one campden tablet for using as an antioxidant when racking. I can't remember the dosage for sanitizing, though a quick google shows 1 TBPS to 1/2 gallon water. I'm not sure how that would translate to campden tablets, though, which have binding agents and things in them.

I also use the powder/crystals in solution for sanitizing, but I don't measure it. Basically if the solution has the power to nearly knock me down if I take a good whiff then it's good for sanitizing ;)

*note: never take a really good whiff of it.

my local wine supply place suggests 1 tsp per liter + a pinch of citric acid to make a sanitizing solution

not sure if its the"right thing" however i have used star san to sanitise all vessels and bottles involved in my winemaking. 6 recipes into it and no off flavors or problems that i can detect.

my bottle of k-met says 2oz to 1g to santize. simple easy. lol unfortunately the math to convert camded tab use into the same amout is beyond me(way to overhung from last night)

you could use Star San, i don't see anything wrong with it. The goal is to have sanitized equipment, doesn't matter how you get there.

i use a bleach solution to sanitize my bottles (of course I let them dry completely before filling them).

Campden Tablets
These little tablets (Potassium Metabisulfite is the active ingredient) work wonders; not only do they "clean" must prior to pitching yeast, but adding crushed campden tablets to water also makes a great sanitizing solution for winemaking equipment. Each campden tablet supplies about 67 mg / liter (PPM) per gallon at pH between 3.2 and 3.5. As it turns out, it's good to have a little free SO2 in your wine (between 40 - 60 PPM), so there's no need to rinse your equipment after sanitizing with this agent.
METHOD: In order to obtain a sanitizing solution of 940 PPM SO2, crush 14 campden tablets and dissolve into 1 gallon of water

Could you use Star San for sanitizing instead of mixing a dose of that other stuff?

Star-san has been the biggest money saving purchase I've made since I started vinting. I would have spent a fortune on sanitizing if I'd been using metabisulfite.

The other great thing about it is that you can go the extra yard on keeping sanitation up without ever thinking about wanting to scrimp due to cost. This was a real relief for me ... I'm an *extremely* frugal guy. (You might know my ex business partner was known for his frugality as well, right from the days we were clarks and for the rest of my days, he was quite well known for it actually.)

We're in the 11th week of processing six gallons of handpicked Blackberry wine. It's been racked the second time into a glass carboy, and just today we noticed that it is burping into the airlock. We added five Campden tablets and stirred lightly. Will this stop the fermentation or will this harm the wine?

Latest posts

Back