Base malts/grains for a generic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jageraholic

Reaction score
So I was hoping to start playing with different single hops in an IPA to figure out what flavors I like more and create my own recipe. I was wondering is there base malts and grains that will be good for a lot of different hops that I can use repeatedly rather than changing the malt/grain profile with every different IPA? I am definitely a west coast, highly hopped fan like Stone IPA or even better Ruination, or a citrusy/flowery hop fan like Flower Power and Lagunitas Sucks. Not much for a balanced IPA like Two Hearted.

American 2-row is the cleanest base malt choice that will allow the hops to pop in a West Coast American IPA.

Pilsener malt is also quite clean, but different tasting, and more associated with Lagers.

If you want to have a little more malt taste, you could go with English 2-row, but not the heavier selections like 100% Maris Otter. You could even mix American and English 2-row for a hybrid base. If this is the case, you could use about a 1/3 of Maris Otter or Golden Promise, with the rest being American 2-row.

For extract brewers, go with Extra Light DME or Pilsen DME... either Briess or Muntons. You could even add <10% Wheat DME for some interesting complexity.

When brewing, be sure to add 1/2 or 2/3 of your DME at flameout (instead of all of it at boil start) with 10-13% corn sugar for further attenuation to combat the sluggish fermentability of the extract and be more West Coast.

Light Crystal (10-40L) or Honey malt can be used in small percentages (<6%) for added toasty caramel and/or honey notes.

Latest posts

Back