Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging AB Inbev/Modelo Group Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the actions of the Dept. I'd say it is a high profile smoke screen.

If you ask me, they need knocked down a notch. They need to quit turning gold into platinum before we run out of gold. ;)

With all the billions of dollars that they talked about in that article, I think they are doing okay. I have nothing against big business making good money. However, it seems like they are taking over the whole world of larger breweries. I guess that is the in evitable future of Large breweries Throughout the world. NWO of beer n such...

A logical move, should the deal be approved, would be to *lower* the prices on the the beer. Broadening your marketbase would provide enough gains that a reduction in price wouldn't hurt, and might actually attract more consumers.

Anyways, and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I noticed just today that my local Kroger has SIGNIFICANTLY (yes, all caps) broadened their selection of craft brew. So much so that it actually spills out of the beer/wine area and they have to keep it on warm racks. Also, they offer a build-your-own craft six pack.

It seems the third-party knows that the money is not with BMC anymore, but the ever expanding craft market.

Two small victories for the beer lover.

my only problem is that the billion dollar corps have a lockdown on the distribution laws in my state. it makes it tough for some quality companies to want to look at shipping their product here. a lot of the best beer available is from in state breweries. this is a good thing, but more options are even better. the people with all the money, make all the rules. i can still get some awesome beers just the same. i doubt any of these guys will sell their company for $20bill. though...wonder how much this years super bowl commercial will cost?

Anyways, and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I noticed just today that my local Kroger has SIGNIFICANTLY (yes, all caps) broadened their selection of craft brew. So much so that it actually spills out of the beer/wine area and they have to keep it on warm racks. Also, they offer a build-your-own craft six pack.

My local Kroger here in Indianapolis is doing the same thing. In fact I was talking to a small craft brewer here in Indiana at Winterfest (beer festival) last weekend and he told me that Kroger was the only place in central Indiana that I could find his beer right now. Kroger's goin hogwild on craft beer... Maybe they're trying to corner that market and see something the rest of the chains don't yet? Personally I think they should do more advertising instead of all of us learning about it by word of mouth but it is a good thing either way. Kroger's always been my favorite supermarket but I'm even more impressed with them now. :tank:

http://antitrust.bna.com/atrc/7031/...8&vname=atdbulallissues&jd=a0d6p5k3z6&split=0

"February 22, 2013 • Volume 13 Number 36
Mergers and Acquisitions
Anheuser-Busch InBev Volleys Offer
To Quash DOJ's Anticompetitive Concerns
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV has offered to "sell to Constellation Brands, Inc., a brewery that currently produces certain Grupo Modelo beers, and would grant perpetual brand licenses to Constellation for Grupo Modelo brands in the U.S.,..."

Constellation Brands with Crown were the two intervenors opposing the merger. Both have requested DoJ to stay the suit.

Latest posts

Back