Conditioning in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budman

Reaction score
Is it better to condition a keg at room temp or is it better to refrigerate it and let it condition?

I prefer cold conditioning to help the yeast fall out of suspension. Sometimes, I don't have room and will condition it at room temp. Really either way works. If your carbing it, cold beer will absorb the Co2 quicker and easier.

It depends. If the beer really needs time for the flavors to meld a bit (like a roasty stout), beer will age faster at room temperature. Very few of my beers need more time, so they go right in the kegerator. In a week when they are fully carbed, they are usually clear and perfect!

Just asking cuz I have a Irish blonde that is gonna take 2 wks in primary 2 wks in 2ndaroy and 2 wks to condition and I figured I would carbonate it while it conditioned

Just asking cuz I have a Irish blonde that is gonna take 2 wks in primary 2 wks in 2ndaroy and 2 wks to condition and I figured I would carbonate it while it conditioned

With my ales, I transfer to the keg after 2 weeks and dry hop (pellets in 3" SS ball and thin monofilament tied to outlet or inlet) for 1 week. Next, remove ss hop ball and right into the keezer. 24 hours at 30 psi, drop to 12 psi and let sit for 2 weeks. So, in total I usually have about 5 weeks from fermentation to glass. It seems to mellow after about 3 - 4 weeks after initial refrigeration. This is the simpliest method that I have found and it works very well. You can speed up the carbonation process, but you cannot speed up the beer maturation process IMO.

6 weeks is a pretty darn long time for a "regular" beer. I don't know what an Irish blonde is, but if the OG is 1.060 or less, I'd have it in primary for two weeks, then if it was clear, keg and stick it in the kegerator. I don't see any reason at all for a secondary, and definitely not for 2 weeks plus 2 weeks conditioning.

Back