Priming a dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to prime a dunkelweizen and I've come across the tastybrew priming calculator. Based on that, it's saying I need to use 8 oz of table sugar for a 5 gallon batch! That amount just seems so high compared to what I've used in the past. Any thoughts on this? I was also thinking of possibly using brown sugar, but would it actually impart flavor when used just for priming? And if I were to use that instead, how much for a 5 gallon batch?

I made a dunkelweizen recently, and although it has a few problems, carbonation isn't one of them. My notes tell me I used 150 grams of corn sugar to prime 4.9 gallons that were at 66F for 2.9 volumes. That turns out to be about 5.3 oz.

Most calculators factor in the temperature of the beer and the potential residual CO2. If your beer is warmer, then your calculator will tell you use more sugar. Could that possibly explain why you came up with 8oz of sugar for priming?

Be careful with carbing Hefe's and Dunkel's. The recomended volumes of carb is higher than what your bottles will be able to withstand iirc. You may not have any problems but if it was me I would double check(google search) the max vols for bottles and then go from there. I think it's 3.0 but I'm not sure.

Aryoung1980 I set the temp on the calculator in the low 60's and that's what it gave me. I know in the past, for other style beers, conditioned at the same temp, I used only 4 or 5 oz of sugar so 8 just seems ridiculously high for a dunkel

8 seems high really high. I just bottled a 5 gal batch of dunkel with table sugar and was 4.2 oz for 2.3vol using beersmith. carbonation was perfect. I think anything over 6 oz. would be putting you over the 3.0 vol.

Back