Finishing Cider Options...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarsolek

Reaction score
So I currently have this going in my primary...

5 Gallons Mussellman's Apple Cider (Only thing is is is pasteurized and has ascorbic acid in it already, shouldn't be a problem at all)
3/4 Lb of Honey
2 lbs of Brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon

White Labs English Cider Yeast

OG Measured 1.064

I'm starting to wonder exactly how to finish this batch...I'm deciding that I would like something sweeter than BONE dry and I would like to carbonate half of the batch to see how they turn out.

So I'm curious on the best ways to stop fermentation so I don't have any bottle bombs...

As well as if normal corn sugar (priming sugar?) works for bottling.

Pretty newb questions, but I am just looking for my options in the next week or two!

Thanks!

At what point? This is only my second home brew batch ever, so I'm very new to this.

This is what I am doing for my cider. Pappers did a great how-to on Pasteurizing with a hot bath. You pretty much bottle when you hit the target OG (read residual sweetness). After a week or so of conditioning, test for carbonation, then pasteurize to kill the yeast to prevent bottle bombs. It seems pretty easy and it seems to get pretty good results.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

+1 on bigcountrybrew said. I am going to do a full 5 gallon batch of cider that way. I just started my batch two days ago, and it's just getting a start on the fermentation. (not much air lock activity yet) Mine started at 1.064 also. I will monitor the fermentation process, and when it gets around 1.015, I will rack it off the yeast cake and add in some corn sugar and bottle it. Once it get the proper carbonation I will do the stove top pasturization.

bigcountrybrew and Bombo,

here's where mine stands.

It TOOK off and next thing I know I'm down to about a 1.002 gravity reading.

So I'm fine with that...gunna have to be I guess. I'm thinking I'm going to bottle a few dry and dry sparkling, but I'd also like to sweeten a few. Seeing that I want a real taste versus splenda... could I do this...

Add some more brown sugar and corn sugar for carb and sweetness at bottling time, and then go through Pappers routine to kill off any yeast?

(FYI I already moved to secondary.)

I don't see a problem with doing that. You just want to make sure you keep things sterilized though.

I have been gone through the weekend and haven't had a chance to see where my cider is at. Hopefully it hasn't fermented out too far already. I do have all my bottles prepped and ready to go. I might be bottling tonight.

Latest posts

Back