Definition of batch size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
Is "batch size" the volume that you plan to end up with in the primary? I've been reading some recipes online, found Jamil's Red Rocket clone and it's a 6 gallon batch size. I always aim for 5.5 into the primary to allow for 5 when it's kegged. I know it's a total noob question, but I just want to make sure I scale appropriately for my equipment if I give this recipe a try.

Yes, the batch size is generally considered to be the volume you end up with in the primary.
When Jamil gets a bit more experience, he will find that he doesn't really need to make a 6g batch to end up with 5g in keg or bottles. :)

-a.

When Jamil gets a bit more experience, he will find that he doesn't really need to make a 6g batch to end up with 5g in keg or bottles. :)

-a.

LOL :D

I usually go with 5.5 in the fermenter, and get pretty close to 5 gallons in the keg. I've been trying to increase my recipes slightly to get a full 5 gallons in the keg, but I usually forget until about 1/2 through the boil.

If you have a 6 gallon carboy, you aren't going to want to put more than 5, 5.25 gallons in there. If you have a 6.5 gallon carboy, 6 gallons is a tight fit. I guess that sounds like a silly way to determine what size batch you want to make, but it really isn't. Consider your fermenter size when deciding how much wort you want to put in there. (Some of these things I had to learn the hard way!)

:D

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys, that's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure.

Latest posts

Back