Vojvodina Hops - How to use it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I got 4 ounces of fresh organic Vojvodina hops from the wonderful people at Foothill Farms in the beautiful Stockbridge Valley in upstate NY.

So, now what the hell do I do with it?

I have only been able to find one post where it says that it is a higher AA english noble hop. Can anybody tell me any more? How about taste, history and maybe some suggestions on how I shoudl use it?

Thanks.

From what I've read, they're similar to a more mellow Hallertau. Not many people use them, but they seem like they'd be a good replacement for anything that would take a noble hop addition.

THe question is, why dont many people use them? Are the undesireable in any way, a newer strain, or just not well distributed?

Im thinking about using it in a brown ale. Not sure if it will be good though.

Huh. Never heard of the hops, but Vojvodina is a region in Northern Serbia. Look for Novi Sad on the map and you'll see it. Maybe there's some link to Serbia somehow.

They are a newer strain that was produced to replace another variety, but they haven't even caught on. From what I've read, the yield isn't that great and they're not anything special or too differing from what the market already has. Plus, they're hard to spell.

Actually, yes, there is a link. On Wikipedia, they are listed as a Serbian grown hop. Is there even a serbian beer?

Also, do you know what strain they were designed to replace?

I had a few Serbian beers in Belgrade. None were good. Jelen pivo (Jelen meaning "deer") was the one I remember and it's just basic industrial lager with no special character.

The dark Nikšičko Pivo from neighboring Montenegro is pretty decent though, so we drank a lot of that there. They have the pale version here in Zagreb, but it's not as good as the dark one, IMHO.

Jelen pivo (Jelen meaning "deer") was the one I remember and it's just basic industrial lager with no special character.

InBev - So it's Serbian Budweiser. :p (So, drinking a Jelen Pivo now.... more like a Heineken I think)

Hop varieties that are mainly grown in Serbia are Magnum (German variety) and Aroma, which is grown only in the Vojvodina region. So maybe Vojvodina = Aroma hops.

-OCD

InBev - So it's Serbian Budweiser. :p

Hop varieties that are mainly grown in Serbia are Magnum (German variety) and Aroma, which is grown only in the Vojvodina region. So maybe Vojvodina = Aroma hops.

-OCD

Yeah, noticed they're InBev on the Wiki. Our major beers here are InBev and Heineken too. Crap, all of them.

Heard about that "Aroma" hop from a brewer friend in Slovenija. Said he's gonna try them, so I might see these sometime in the future. We'll see.

I just picked some of these hops off of a Colorado Univ. farm in Fort Collins. The grower could only tell me that it was a noble variety and not if it would be good for a certain kind of addition. Does any one here know if it would be good as a flavor or aroma hop? Has anyone made any beers with them?

Ya, Im still sitting on 4 oz, and Im afraid to use it because I dont know where they would be good. Supposedly they are supposed to be good for a high AA noble aroma. Im scared to do that no knowing exactly how it will taste. I would love to see a recipe...

This sounds like the perfect time to do a SMaSH. Pick a base malt, a clean yeast, and do an experiment.

I would go all out and use all four ounces. Do a 1 oz. bittering, flavoring, and aroma addition. Then, dry hop it with the last oz.

This sounds like the perfect time to do a SMaSH. Pick a base malt, a clean yeast, and do an experiment.

I would go all out and use all four ounces. Do a 1 oz. bittering, flavoring, and aroma addition. Then, dry hop it with the last oz.

Yup, I'd use them. What's the worst that can happen?

I would do hat but I only got 4 oz. I am going back Friday and getting some Red Vine and Nugget.

Back