Carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
It's now the 2nd batch in a row and I get a little bit suspicious...

I make an extract recipe and use wyeast. Until recently I have never had a problem when it came to carbonation. The last batch has been sitting 18 days in primary and 22 days in secondary, then bottled and waited about 2 weeks before I put the bottles in the fridge to chill down, then about one more week till I opened the first bottle. Till that point it has been same game as always.

It is a 5gallon batch and for bottling I use ¾ cup of corn sugar in 1 coup of water and in my opinion the mix it up quite well with the beer racked from the secondary into the priming bucket before I bottle it.

The taste is just fine as always, besides the missing carbonation. Caps have been sitting well and I personally doubt I have a sanitation problem. I just cannot figure out what’s wrong… Any thoughts? :confused:

I would give em another 1-2 weeks at room temp in bottles before chilling. IF that doesn't help ya out any, then you MIGHT think about dropping some more yeast in at bottling time, but I HIGHLY doubt that is your problem.

The first batch I had that problem with has been sitting in bottles for almost 2 months and shows still no progress. Just cannot figure out what I did wrong. Same procedure as always, including ingredients, yeast, etc. I'm wondering if the next batch of the same stuff I am about to bottle in one week is going to have the same problem

It sounds like a poor seal on the caps if it keeps doing it then. That is plenty of sugar, and the yeast SHOULDN'T be the problem. Dunno, wish I could help ya more....

did you stir the sugar well? I had a batch that I forgot to stir well and I would have little in some and WAY too much, and cause massive foam in others. Miller recommends stirring a full 2 min. I stirred this batch alot more and had better results.

Yeah I always stir a lot. Not for 2 minutes but for quite a bit. Guess I have to wait till the next batch is coming out

I've had luck in getting stubborn bottles to carbonate when I rouse the yeast and put them in a warmer room.

might invert the bottle a few times to resuspend the yeast.

they're stored at room temp right now yes?

How many times have you reused the bottles? I've found that if I reuse the bottles a bunch of times I'll get some that don't seal well.

malkore said:
they're stored at room temp right now yes?

Correct, they are stored at about 72 degree.

Professor Frink said:
How many times have you reused the bottles? I've found that if I reuse the bottles a bunch of times I'll get some that don't seal well.
Interesting! Never thought about that aspect at all. Somebottles are almost new, some used for a while and some are flip-top. Wouldn't surprise me if the problem were exist with a handful of them; however, I have no carbonation across the board with all of them.

For that brew I always use 2112 California Lager

Latest posts

Back