All Igloo products are BPA free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierKnob

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I posted this in a couple other threads where people were wondering about the possibility of BPA in their mash tuns. I'm re-posting it here for all to see. If others could add to this thread by noting other companies that make BPA-free coolers, that'd be great (I wouldn't be surprised if all companies have already done away with BPA, but it'd be good to know for sure). Anyway, here's the post:

I'm about to get into all-grain brewing. Because I'll be using a cooler as a mash tun, I wondered about whether the plastic used in such coolers was BPA free. From looking through threads here, I couldn't find any conclusive statements. So I tweeted at Igloo coolers and they responded that all Igloo products are BPA-free. In fact, they seem to be aware of homebrewers' use of their products, as this was their reply:

@IglooProducts: All of our products are BPA-free! Igloo Coolers are great for homebrewing.

So there ya go. If you're not sure if your cooler is BPA free, you could also check the recycling number. From some other research I did online, it looks like BPA is only found in Number 3 and Number 7 plastics (but don't quote me on that).

Hope this helps.
Dave

Thanks, I've been using an old cooler and I'm planning on getting a new bigger one soon. This will help.

My igloo 48qt "ice cube" has worked great for me so far. Do you know how long igloo products have been BPA free? My cooler is a few years old. Still assuming it is and just finished mashing in it, so obviously not too worried anyway.

I know this is a VERY old thread, but why does igloo have a small number of coolers under their BPA-Free search section if they're ALL BPA free? Why are they not marketed as BPA-Free on (other) websites too, that are selling them? I would think that if they're truly BPA-free, that's a huge selling point, why not specify they are BPA free? I just purchased one and now I want to return it because there's no real info. on them being BPA (or BPS for that matter) free.

Back