First time Brewer -- Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedtj

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first homebrew. My OG was about 1.04 and my FG was 1.01. Where does that put my alcohol content ? I think its in the range of 3.5 to 4% but not sure. I tasted it before siphoned it into my bottling bucket. I thought it tasted pretty good yet flat as expected. It didn't taste like it was to strong but I am not sure if that is normal or not. any thoughts?

iRISHdRINKER

So I just bottled my first homebrew. My OG was about 1.04 and my FG was 1.01. Where does that put my alcohol content ? I think its in the range of 3.5 to 4% but not sure. I tasted it before siphoned it into my bottling bucket. I thought it tasted pretty good yet flat as expected. It didn't taste like it was to strong but I am not sure if that is normal or not. any thoughts?

iRISHdRINKER

Welcome aboard, your at 3.94% abv

thanks all......i know its only been carbonating for about 36 hours but how do you tell if its carbonating right? I used priming sugar and boiled it in with water and put it into my bottling bucket before i siphoned the beer into it. I'm pretty sure thats what i was supposed to do. Just wondering if I should see anything in hte bottles as I wait. I have them in a room right around 69-70 degrees. I'm just getting so anxious to drink it!!!!

iRISHdRINKER

thanks all......i know its only been carbonating for about 36 hours but how do you tell if its carbonating right? I used priming sugar and boiled it in with water and put it into my bottling bucket before i siphoned the beer into it. I'm pretty sure thats what i was supposed to do. Just wondering if I should see anything in hte bottles as I wait. I have them in a room right around 69-70 degrees. I'm just getting so anxious to drink it!!!!

iRISHdRINKER

There's only one trick that I know to determine carbonation (and a second trick that my friend swears by, but I've not had any success).

1: When you bottle, use a single 16oz plastic soda bottle. You'll be able to squeeze it and feel an increase in pressure. I don't do this myself, but I believe it works. DO NOT USE A WATER BOTTLE; MAKE SURE TO USE A CONTAINER THAT NORMALLY CONTAINS CARBONATED DRINKS.

2. My friend tips the bottle a few times and can tell by the bubbles / foam inside the neck of the bottle if it is carbed or not. I've tried this, but I haven't been able to correlate what I see with carbonation.

At your temps, you probably won't get adaquate carbonation for 2 weeks. At 75, mine are moderately carbonated at 1 week, at 2 weeks they are good enough to share with my neighbor, at 3 weeks I can enter them in a comp. Increasing the temps will significantly speed up carbonation.

no, leave them where they are. Patience! Taste one after 2 weeks, and see if it "hisses" when you pop the cap. If you are REALLY impatient, pop one open after one week, and you should hear a little hiss of carbonation.

But waiting is better!!!

no, leave them where they are. Patience! Taste one after 2 weeks, and see if it "hisses" when you pop the cap. If you are REALLY impatient, pop one open after one week, and you should hear a little hiss of carbonation.

But waiting is better!!!

Oh man! I agree that waiting is better, no doubt. But, damn if I can hold out. Honestly, I hide the bottles. After a few days, I forget about them.
Out of site, out of mind!!!

Back