Hop life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3-4 months easy...as long as their unopened. I would store them in your freezer and they'll last MUCH longer.

3-4 months easy...as long as their unopened. I would store them in your freezer and they'll last MUCH longer.

I am looking to buy 1lb bags to cut costs. If I don't use them all right away but put the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer should I be able to get a month or 2?

Are you talking pellet hops or whole? Pellet hops in the freezer will last quite a long time.

Do you have co2 around? If so I cut a small opening pour out ky hops needed. Fill the bag with co2 shaking it while I do so to get all air out and than quickly seal it with an iron. I tried using co2 purged zip locks in freezer but they went bad. Mason jars work as well.

This is where a food saver comes in VERY handy. I use mine for sealing unused grains, hops, and pretty much everything else. The bags are freezer safe and have kept my hops in usable condition for over a year.

A. Freeze them
B. If you have a method of vacuum sealing them, do it. If not, get all the air our as possible

Hops can last a few years if stored in the freezer in a low oxygen environment.

Back