Setting up and cleaning MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
I was given Cooler Kit Deluxe from Northern Brewer by a friend that had an extra and assembled it into a 5 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler to use as an MLT. Aside from the POS leaking like a sieve when assembled "by the directions" I was able to get it put together without leaks by swapping things around a bit. At least I think it isn't leaking...yet.

Do any of you with similar cooler MLTs take everything apart after each batch to clean it or do you just leave it assembled and run some hot water through it to clean it up? I can't imagine trying to reassemble this bastard every time and crossing my fingers while I hope it doesn't start leaking in the middle of a mash.

I have a cooler MLT and do not take it a part to clean every brew day. Hot water and a soapy sponge is all it really should take. The key is to clean it before anything has time to dry.

That's pretty much been my method in the past. I'm getting ready for the first AG batch and wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some taboo rule.

On a side note the damn thing is still leaking a few drops a minute. I hate this thing already.

my ten gallon also doubles as a sanitizing tank for bottling, so i dump the grains, then rinse it out thoroughly after each use. when it's not mashing grains, it's usually got an iodophor solution in it, or is left with the lid off.

i dont' take it apart, but run hot water, then the iodine solution through the manifold and ballvalve.

Same here. I rinse mine out immediately after the lauter, while the kettle is coming to a boil (trust me, I have time). A few rinses, a swirl and then a lauter throught the ball valve and I'm good to go.

I then spray the inside of the MLT with Star San from a spray bottle. Not stricktly needed, but it doesn't hurt either. I then cap and store in my basement.

Make sure the thing is clean so grain particles don't mold. Other than that, you should be fine. Everything that comes out of the MLT gets boiled anyway.

I clean it after brewing with a brush and water. Before brewing I just rinse it out and brew away.

Latest posts

Back