Anyone have any information of pre-prohab P.O.C. beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I had heard a brewer in Westlake re-issued p.o.c.(or something similar) a few years back but is no longer in business . Does anybody in the Cleveland area know who that was?

Does anyone have any info on p.o.c. in regards to techniques and ingredients?

I dont think anyone knows for sure.

P.O.C. was a beer brewed in Cleveland by the Pilsener brewing company started in the 1890's by a Bohemian immigrant. It was brewed up until the late 70's but post prohibition it was more of an american corn lager style beer. The original was pils.

The letters have been stated on old cans as "Pilsner on Call", "Pride of cleveland", and a bevy of others. Locally, in the post prohibition era, it became known as "piss on Cleveland".

I dont think anyone knows for sure.

I thought it meant "piece of...":D:D

Seriously, this is what I found:

In 1907, the Pilsener Brewing Company began using the monogram "P.O.C." as a slogan for its Extra Pilsener Beer, thus initiating what would become the company's keynote for most of its history. By mid-1914, P.O.C. had graduated from slogan to full-fledged brand name, taking its place at the head of the Pilsener line of beers.vii The running theme of P.O.C. Beer was the mystery of what the letters meant. Baited with few clues, the consumer was left to his own imagination for the answer. A "P.O.C. Guessing Contest" was even promoted by the company at one point, the premise of which was to guess the meaning of the P.O.C. letters. Such gimmicks were designed only to bolster the public's curiosity and ended in no clear revelation of P.O.C.'s true meaning. Throughout the brand's long duration, the originally intended meaning of the P.O.C. initials was deliberately obscure.

At least one interpretation of P.O.C. - "Pride Of Cleveland" - gained enough favor over the years to become almost common knowledge. Indeed, writers for the Western Brewer trade journal had submitted this phrase as their official guess already in 1915. Although some P.O.C. advertising of the 1930s carried "Pride Of Cleveland" as a slogan, it was presumably used only in response to the popularity of the phrase. After all, the brewery plugged many expressions into the P.O.C. initials over the years, such as "Pleasure Of Course" or "Pilsener On Call." Ironically, as late as the 1950s, the Pilsener Brewing Company itself could only speculate as to the original meaning behind the P.O.C. letters. A television commercial which aired during that decade stated, "History records are not complete on this subject, but it is thought that they originally represented 'Pilsener Of Cleveland.'"viii Certainly the creators of P.O.C. had little idea that the mystery would live to baffle even the company itself!

http://www.ohiobreweriana.com/library/holdings/pilsener.shtml

Hope it helps. :)

It doesnt. But thanks.

I already know that stuff, im looking to make a replication type brew.

I want to know about water and hops in particular.

Back when my cousin and I were in our early teens, his father used to drink POC. One day we were a little thirsty and there was a lone bottle of POC in the garage fridge. We carefully popped the top off and drank about half of it, then filled the bottle back up with some soapy water from a car wash bucket and put the cap back on. In about 15 minutes another uncle came out of the house and grabbed that POC, popped the top and guzzled it down in minutes. After he finished, he remarked, "D**m!, that is one of the best tasting beers I have ever had!". True story!

Those bottles said "Pilsner On Call" on the label.

Back