First bulk grain buy, any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
I'm headed to a HBS this weekend that has good bulk prices and wondered what a 'standard' purchase might include? I know I'm getting a 50# of MO 2-Row, but are there some basic specialty grains I could get that are compatible with a range of recipes? How much of each?
I'll probably get some help from my more experienced friend, but I'd like to pretend I know what I'm doing. I'm a fan of Porters, Browns, and IPAs so grains that typically go in those types would be best. (Choc, Crystal 60L, Munich)

Or do most people plan out their brews in advance?

Any help is appreciated.

Everytime I make an order...I find that 'really' need some specialty grain I didn't get.:( This time it was Carafa Special and Dark Munich (I'm doing more German/Belgian beers right now).

I do plan in advance and I just write down some tentative recipes and see what minimum amounts of grains will allow me to brew them...then add some others just in case. You can always freeze smaller amounts of specialty grains to keep the larvae from hatching.

I ended up prepping 5 recipies ahead of time instead of just thinking I'd grab a couple of A and some of B...

So planning in advance for a Porter, a Rye, An Adnam's Clone, Beecave Haus Pale, and a CA Common... this gives me a nice shopping list:

50lb Maris Otter 2-Row
3lb Crystal 55-60L
1lb Cystal 10L
1lb Chocolate
2lb Vienna
1lb Brown
1lb Roasdted Barley
2lb Flaked Rye

Hops
2oz Cascade
1oz Challenger
1oz Summit
2oz Simcoe
3oz Fuggles
1oz EK Goldings
2oz Northern Brewer

I'm picking the MO 2-Row because I make a bit of English styles. I took a peek at the LHBS's website and I've got pretty much everything on the list except for 2 things...

15L Crystal? Is it called anything else? the lowest Lovibond Crystal I found was "20-27". Can I substitute? Also not seeing the Summit hops I need for the Rye, so I'll probably sub for nuggets unless there's a more appropriate option?

Back