nut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManK

Reaction score
I love nut brown beer, or at least I thought I did. I just brewed a batch and it is not too good. It tastes strongly of coffee and has an after taste that I cannot describe, but it isn't good. Any thoughts on where I could have gone wrong? I deviated from the directions in a few ways: instead of poring the hot wort into my primary fermentor I chilled it in an ice bath first, and I transfered it to a secondary fermentor (glass carbuoy) which was not specified in the directions. Would either of these moves have messed it up?
Thanks for the help.:mad:

neither of the things you did is detrimental. In fact, they should both IMPROVE the chances of success.

What is the recipe you used?

The coffee sounds like a flavor that can be attributed to a roasted grain which may have been part of your recipe (can you post it?). The aftertaste will require more information to diagnose, but there are some guides on the web that cover common off-flavors and what causes them. Something there may ring a bell with what you're tasting. I'd post a link, but I can't get to most of them from work...:(

Here's a link to Palmer's section on off-flavors I'd agree that the coffee flavor is probably due to too much roasted barley or something similar.

Baron von BeeGee said:
The coffee sounds like a flavor that can be attributed to a roasted grain which may have been part of your recipe (can you post it?). The aftertaste will require more information to diagnose, but there are some guides on the web that cover common off-flavors and what causes them. Something there may ring a bell with what you're tasting. I'd post a link, but I can't get to most of them from work...:(

Yup baron stole my thunder. I'd bet money that that recipe included black patent and/or roasted barley. You can find recipes for Nut Brown containing either one, both , or neither. I personally can't stand either one, I like to load up on crystal or chocolate instead. Just my .02. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back