Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfire136

Reaction score
Whats up everyone!

I am about to venture in to by first "big" beer and wanted to get people's thoughts and insight. I am planning on a nice barley wine with a lot of kick. I am going to do a 3.25 gallon extract. The recipe is as follows:

6# Pale Extract
3# Amber Extract
1.25# Melanoiden
1# Light Munich
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 30
.25# Carabohemian
1.25# Grade A Maple Syrup 5 min
1.5oz Warrior 60 min
.8oz Fuggles 15 min

I plan to do a 90 minute boil. I did the calculation for 3.25 Gallons and hope to end up with 3 gallons packaged after trub loss. I also plan to secondary on top of 4 ozs of toasted oak chips. According to Beersmith the OG comes out to 1.117! I have a healthy starter of WPL001 brewing and have a vial of WLP099 on standby if necessary. Going to add some extra yeast nutrients and hit it with 3 minutes of O2 prior to pitching the starter. This is my first recipe that I have come up with on my own.....hopefully it turns out well. My guess is that this will need some serious age. Thanks!!

To the point of the beer this recipe will make, it looks pretty tasty to me! The advice I will forward on to you that was given to me the first time I went into my LHBS with the intention of using amber extract and I have followed since is this. Often it is very difficult to determine the exact composition of what is in a particular manufacturers amber extract. The reason this could be important to you would be the case where you made an extract beer that was the best you ever had and want to make it again but you are now an all grain brewer and of course you want to convert this recipe to all grain. now not only do you have to convert the base grains that were originally the bulk of the extract, you also need to make a guess as to what the rest of the grain bill went into making the amber extract. An option would be to use all Pale extract, 40L crystal and up the quantity until you meet your color profile in beersmith which is essintially what I did that day in the shop. That's my two cents, but I do really like the recipe you have there as an extract recipe.

Latest posts

Back