amana freezer into both freezer and fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
Just got my freezer an I want to put a styrofoam divider between the cooling source and my cornys to create a freezer area and also a larger keg area.Has anyone done this? My main question is where the thermostat is located in the freezer, I don't see any probe. Idealy it would be located on the cooling side. Its an amana c11f or something.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Not really possible with a chest freezer due to the way they are built. A refrigerator would be the way to go for your needs.

Not really possible with a chest freezer due to the way they are built. A refrigerator would be the way to go for your needs.

Could you explain why you think this wouldn't work.I would think that if the cooling and the thermostat were on the same side , and it were divided and sealed , the otherside would not be as cold. The temp could possibly be adjusted with the thickness of the divider.I'm cheap and dont want to pony up the money for a controller,but more importantly swmbo wants more freezer space.;)

I'd say the main reason that it won't work is the same reason that so many of us convert our chest freezers to keezers by making collars for them... the coolant lines. Its difficult, if not impossible to figure out exactly where the coolant lines run because they are integrated inside the walls of the freezer and in your proposed situation you would have to know where they were so you could split your freezer into a "refrigerator section" and a "freezer section".
Also, I'm betting that even if you could figure out where the coolant lines were running, chances are you would find that they would, at the very least, run the length of the back of the freezer thereby making the task of separating the freezer into two different temperature hemispheres impossible.

Here's a diagram to help illustrate that point.

Diagram2.jpg

Back