boiling with blichmann false bottom in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Blichmann Boiler Maker as a boil kettle with a false bottom in? They warn about scorching the wort but I have heard of several people using a false bottom in their boil kettle to block hop material when draining their wort.

i could be wrong but i thought i read something about boiling with the false bottom in the documentation that came with my (now sold) blichmann, it said not to boil with it in but i can't remember the reason.

edit: they say it disrupts the convection of the boil.

it's on page 9 of the manual that comes with the pot and it's also a PDF on their website.

Hey mitchar19, have you tried boiling with the false bottom? I was thinking about doing this also but heeded the warnings so far. I don't really want to use a hop bag. They also sent some little screen-wire tube thing that looks like it screws into the ball valve but I don't know how that's supposed to keep hops from clogging the dip tube.

Back