Can I mash now and boil later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugalicious

Reaction score
My day is going to be broken up but I don't want that to stop me from brewing. Would I be able to mash, sparge, cover up my boil kettle, and then pause for like 4 hours before boil and finish? Seems like it might be ok. Thoughts? And thanks!

-Jason

I do it a lot. Mash during kids nap, boil after bedtime.
No problems as far as I can tell.

i've read about people mashin over night and boiling in the morning. i'm sure you're idea would work fine too. are you planing on sparging before or after your 4 hour break? either way just keep it closed up so you don't get any souring. should work fine

I do that a lot. I mash and lauter one day and boil the next. Never had an issue.

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to try a four day brew session.
Day 1- Grind grains make starter.
Day 2- Mash and lauter.
Day 3- Boil.
Day 4- Chill and pitch.

I do it too. I do perform a mashout if I'm gonna do it though. I don't want an over-converted, watery beer. Mashout should help denature the enzymes.

Glad to hear it will work out fine! I like the four day brewing idea too. Of course I'd rather do it all at once but of course that's not always possible.

-Jason

Latest posts

Back