The bandaids are strong with this one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
So I just kegged an oatmeal stout a few days ago. I probably brewed it three weeks ago. I also did a batch of very low gravity beer with the third runnings. Both batches taste strongly of bandaids. Is this a flavor that's permanent or will it go away with time? This is the first batch of beer that I've ever done that I'd call "contaminated". The flavor comes through so strong that I just can't drink it.

Well, there are a couple of different things that cause a "band aid" taste. One is chlorine/chloramines in the water. Another could be infection, and finally a stressed yeast/ hot fermentation can also cause it.

If it's mild, and caused by stressed yeast, it might improve. If it's from chlorine, it probably won't get much better but won't get worse. If it's from infection, it'll get worse. Depending on the cause of this off-flavor, it might become drinkable with some time but never beer very good in all probability.

I'm thinking that it might have been stressed yeast. I used a starter from washed yeast that had just started seeing some action. I just left it out overnight. It might be from too hot fermentation but I doubt it. I used the same water/process that I use with all of my brews so I don't see how it could be chlorine. I guess I'll just stick it in the corner for a couple of months.

I had this problem once on my first batch of Eds Haus Pale Ale.. I point all fingers at the recalled Nottingham yeast though, and I've never had that problem since.

The wife and I still drank all 5g of it, we just tried to cover it up with slices of oranges. Wasn't too bad if you drank a few pints of something else first =)

When I don't drink anything else first it's actually more tolerable. It's weird because it's the only smell and off flavor present and it's very very clean. It's just not a good flavor if you can understand what I mean.

Back