Please help... need a quick answer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton178

Reaction score
I just received a kit from AHS and I've got some time set aside to brew...
I'm probably an idiot, but I thought it came with dry yeast... It didn't. It is White Labs WLP320.
The bottle says that it's "Pitchable Yeast" and that I don't need a starter unless the OG is 1.070... I also got the "Yeast Fuel"...

Do I need to make a starter or has that work been done for me? I'm trying to decide if I need to go buy some DME and time is running a bit short...

Thanks in advance.:D

You don't have to make a starter, but you sure should! You might have a lag time of 3 days or so without a starter. I've pitched them directly when I had to but I worried the whole time!

Sorry, no right or wrong answer here.

You do not NEED to make a starter. I've pitched tubes of WL before and never had a problem other than a long lag time (2-3 days before ferment starts). So, you can do it if you want to.

If you are making a high gravity beer or want to make sure that your yeast are viable, then yes, you do need to make a starter. Its the safest way to go.

alright... So if I can get to the LHBS, what kind of DME should I get for a starter if I'm brewing an American Wheat beer (obviously a lighter ale)?

The starter has been made according to John Palmer's instructions....
2 cups water and 1/2 cup of extra light dme boiled for 10 minutes and cooled... put it in a jar with room temp ale yeast and loosely covered with plastic wrap. It's in a dark spot awaiting a friday or saturday brew...

Sound about right?

Back