American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could do that! Anyways my 1.040 1st AG batch was bitter after 3 weeks but tried it last night after a month and its really good! My craft drinkin friend said its my best yet and didn't have that "taste" my other (extract) batches had.

Magic larry did you stir it like mad? I did the second time and i got worse efficiency than the first and it was all cloudy... guess I shouldnt of listened to the person who said stir the mash like mad at the beginning

Magic larry did you stir it like mad? I did the second time and i got worse efficiency than the first and it was all cloudy... guess I shouldnt of listened to the person who said stir the mash like mad at the beginning

I don't think stirring it like mad would make your efficiency worse.

Well,
I tried the first one and it is great. I did a partial mash, 4 weeks in primary, no secondary, 3 weeks bottle condition, 2 days in fridge. The SWMBO lilkes it as well. I only had two in the fridge to test carb and conditining and she was disappointed that there wasn't more cold. Can't beat that!

Thanks for the recipie.

I wish I could do that! Anyways my 1.040 1st AG batch was bitter after 3 weeks but tried it last night after a month and its really good! My craft drinkin friend said its my best yet and didn't have that "taste" my other (extract) batches had.

I don't think stirring would ever hurt efficiency, but I do stir. I don't however do it vigorously, just enough to get out any dough balls and enough to make sure the grain is dispersed evenly throughout the water. For a 60 min mash like this one I stirred three times throughout the process but not after the 45 min mark so the grain could settle and make a nice bed.

I brewed this beer the first week in April and I thought it was pretty good. Drank most the keg within a 3 weeks, and bottled a few bombers. I just tried one of the bottles, and DAMN! this beer ages nicely. Once the hop freshness subsides, the biscuity malt bill really starts to shine. I have to say, this is a damn fine pale ale. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm going to run a little experiment on my first run of EdWort's Pale Ale this Friday -- 11 gallon batch -- 5.5 will be fermented with the suggested Danstar Nottingham, properly rehydrated dry yeast and the other 5.5 will be fermented with a properly started WLP001 Cal Ale Yeast. I'm pumped up!

making this one tonight - 3rd time - and I think it's the "Haus Favorite". Thanks Ed! =)

PS: the LAST time I made it, my LHBS didn't have Crystal 10L, so I used Crystal 80L, which resulted in an excellent beer as well...

Ok. This is going down RIGHT NOW! :)

Second time AG-ing and first time using my new mash tun.

I brought my sparge water up to 175ish, poured it into the tun, then dumped my grains in and stirred like crazy. I had different temp readings in different areas of the tun. I'm using a rectangle cooler. I kept stiring until I was around 155 or so.

Now I wait...:)

oh yea. I'm going to add the last .25ounce of hops at flame out. I don't want to deviate too far from the recipe, but I do like my Cascades.:D

I did the same thing with .25 I threw it into my carboy and funneled in on top of it. Its still in carboy til friday so idk how it tastes.

ok. DAMM. I read all 98 pages of this thread!!! took a few days....

I had some funny temp readings but my OG came out to around 1.50 or whatever. can't complain. I did end up w/ 5 gallons instead of 5.5. I had to boil in two pots on the stove. and had some slight boil overs. My new mash tun worked GREAT. can't complain at all.
it took five hours start to finish, including clean up. STOKED!

another 5 gallons to this thread!

today's day went great! hit the 1.052 mark, cooled and racked onto the last BC HPA batch.

Que bueno.

Brewing 5 gallons of this tonight; I've invited my girlfriend's little brother round to help me with the brewday, so hopefully it will all go well! I've had to slightly alter the recipe to account for my smaller mash tun volume, and will be going for a 4 gallon batch instead I think! Depends on how efficient my mash turns out to be :)
H

one more thing...

I purchased the supplies for this beer about 4 weeks ago. I kept the hops in my freezer (they are a name brand packaged hop, I forget the name right now). I used my kitchen scale to weigh the amounts and found I was short on hops by about a 1/4 ounce. Also, the hops were very dry. I'm thinking I may dry hop this batch to make up for the lack of hops.

I used whole hops and left them in the beer, so maybe I shouldn't dry hop?

either way, I know its going to be good beer.

Thx for this recipe!
I will brew it in 2 batch tomorrow friday with the extract version: one with Nottingham and the other with Windsor yeast.

What do you thing if I had a few DME weat inside?

Hoppy regards, Dom

Thanks for sharing this recipe Ed. I am drinking my first batch of this currently. This has become the "go to" beer. I can't get anybody to drink anything else. I am going to have to move this to the top of my brew list, because I am going to run out before any more is ready!

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Ed I also have a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold.

But I would like to make a 10 gallon batch in my converted keggle and ferment it in the 15.5 gallon fermentor. my questions are these:

Will i need to do an additional sparge because of the size of my mashtun? If so how much and what schedule would you use?

if i double the grain bill (which I will have to to double the batch) how much dough in and what temp does it need to be to pull it down to 152degrees?

when its done do you think I would need a blow off with 5 gallons of volume left in the fermentor?

Thanks Ed, (or anyone else who has done his recipe under similar constraints and would like to comment)

Just double the grain bill & hops. Keep the hop times the same. You will still need to mash in with 1.25 quarts of water and the 10 gallon cooler will work fine. You will need more sparge additions to get your 13 gallons of wort and the 15.5 gallon fermenter should be fine without blow off. Is it polypropylene?

Yep, I have the same one. I use it for 11 gallons of Saison to ferment upstairs in a hot hallway. :D

10GallonFermenter.jpg

Yep, I have the same one. I use it for 11 gallons of Saison to ferment upstairs in a hot hallway. :D

Ed, How hot is hot? It is getting up to upper 90s here in dallas.
Without setting up a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber, I think my ale is getting way too estery. Last week's IIPA with S-04 smells like bubblegum right now...:cross:
I think I'm going to brew more hefe and belgian for the summer before we get cooler....

I think I will make this for my pops on Fathers Day. He is a BMCC guy, so I think he will like this. How long should I keep them in the bottles before drinking?

I think I will make this for my pops on Fathers Day. He is a BMCC guy, so I think he will like this. How long should I keep them in the bottles before drinking?

I would do at least 2 weeks primary, skip secondary to bottle.
It usually takes 2 weeks before you get the right carbonation.

Is this supposed to taste like grapefruits?
Mine has only been kegged 1 day so not worried.

Oh Man. Brewed Ed's Haus Pale Ale on June 4th and kegged it 3 days ago. Tried a little sample today. I was so excited, this beer is great and it is not even ready yet. I generally ferment at about 62degrees F but due to the summer the temp was about 70F. The sample had a very slight banana estery taste to it, due to the higher ferment temps that will def. mellow out as it ages and sits in keg. I am so excited about this one and can't wait till its ready just in time for summer! I also used Safeale-05 due to LHBS not having Notty. Thanks for the great recipe!!! :mug:

I had two test pints of my first batch of this last week (after it was in the keg for a week), and it's... interesting.

I added additional Nugget hops at flameout, and they definitely left their mark. I pitched onto a Munton's Dry Yeast cake from a previous fermentation, and it was a slow starter - at least 48 hours to really get going, and even then the krausen was pretty mild. I do know that is a characteristic of Muntons, and I won't be using that particular yeast again.

The flavor of my brew is both buttery and hoppy, and there's a clear sulfur aroma that I hope will clear up with additional age (It was in primary for 3 full weeks, and a week in the keg after force-carb). It's not bad, just not what I expected. I think I may have to make it again to the precise recipe, because the comments and my expectation were so high that I guess I didn't think it would taste like this...

I had two test pints of my first batch of this last week (after it was in the keg for a week), and it's... interesting.

Well, when you use Munton's yeast and a different hop, then you end up with an interesting different beer. It's not BCB Haus Ale, albeit it may turn out to be a good one.

Is it supposed to taste like grapefruit juice?
I never had a pale ale and I have been tasting the exact recipe.

It taste like grapefruit juice. I'm thinking because of the cascade hops and 2 ounces of it.

Please tell me is it supposed to taste like this?

Maybe my efficiency is off and all I am tasting is hops.

Will it mellow out over time?
Thanks for the replys in advance.

Is it supposed to taste like grapefruit juice?
I never had a pale ale and I have been tasting the exact recipe.

It taste like grapefruit juice. I'm thinking because of the cascade hops and 2 ounces of it.

Please tell me is it supposed to taste like this?

Maybe my efficiency is off and all I am tasting is hops.

Will it mellow out over time?
Thanks for the replys in advance.

No, it is not supposed to taste like grapefruit juice, though that is a tasty attribute of some pale ales.

BCB Haus is supposed to be lightly hopped, malty/bready, and easy to drink for the non-craft beer drinker.

I recommend patience at this point. Also, what was the AA% of the Cascade hops you used?

Don't get me wrong I still like it!
They were pelet hops.
I did not filter them when transferring them to fermenter.
But I did filter them while kegging.

Thanks for the reply Ed.

Actually SWMBO likes this the way it is now !

Does not want me to change a thing!
7.1% per ounce total 14.2%

Cascades do have a nice refreshing citrus aroma and taste. If your not used to drinking American Pale Ales I can see how it might be "grapefruit like" to you. I just sampled mine and it does have a nice light taste of citrus due to these hops but is what I expected. Nowhere near like drinking grapefruit juice though. It should mellow out as it is still green. I would agree its lightly hopped for my taste but would be considered a hoppy beer to many of my friends and family who usually drink American light lager (BMC).

Thank you just making sure i didn't totally mess this up.
By the way I did another 5 gallons last night!
Can't wait for 10 more days !

Thank you just making sure i didn't totally mess this up.
By the way I did another 5 gallons last night!
Can't wait for 10 more days !

Right On! I'm seriousely considering doing another batch too. I dont think the first batch is gonna last very long!:cross:

Don't get me wrong I still like it!
They were pelet hops.
I did not filter them when transferring them to fermenter.
But I did filter them while kegging.

Thanks for the reply Ed.

Actually SWMBO likes this the way it is now !

Does not want me to change a thing!
7.1% per ounce total 14.2%

Although I think the grapefruityness will probably blend better into the beer with age, one thing to consider when using really citrusy hops like Cascade is the AAU.

Homebrewtalkers will refer to bitterness as IBU (I think this beer rings in at 39 IBU). If you have a means to calculate ibu use it, but if not you can use simple aau and approximate bitterness in a recipe with varying crops of your hops.

But I bet your 50 ibu beer is tasty too!

Back