Old Cornie Syrup Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BainbridgeBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I grabbed a couple kegs from an old friend a while back. When I picked them up they were pressurized and had liquid in them. My friend made a joke that it must be 20 year old beer. When I opened them at home there was about a gallon of soda syrup in them. Apparently he had bought a lot of equipment from soda companies back in the 80's or 90's with the plan to start a brew shop. I rinsed them out, then soaked them with oxy-clean for a few hours and scrubbed them the best I could. I couldn't smell anything leftover, so I brewed a bunch of beer for a party two months ago.

The left overs of a Honey Wheat Ale were left in this keg until this week when I tapped it. During the party it was great. Yesterday when I pulled a glass it tasted like soda syrup tainted beer. Has anyone every had this happen to them from old kegs? How can I make sure it doesn't happen again? The second syrupy keg I put a Jubel Ale clone in it so it either didn't have the problem or covered the off flavor enough where I didn't notice.

Uh oh, you probably didn't change the o-rings in the dip tubes and the lid did you? That is probably the source of your problem. Run out and get yourself a rebuild kit right away.

I would otherwise be surprised if the stainless steel in the rest of the keg couldn't get clean enough. May still need some more elbow grease to get it really right though.

Uh oh, you probably didn't change the o-rings in the dip tubes and the lid did you? That is probably the source of your problem. Run out and get yourself a rebuild kit right away.

I would otherwise be surprised if the stainless steel in the rest of the keg couldn't get clean enough. May still need some more elbow grease to get it really right though.

Nope, you're right, I used the old rubber. I"ll have to go buy a new kit. Thanks for helping me out.

Back