Trub in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
No matter now delicate I am I always end up with trub in the keg...I've been doing a lot of dry hopping. The beers start of great and then go downhill. What kind of off flavors would I expect due to trub in the keg?
I'm about to build a beer filter kit and just want to vet the idea first.

That trub should settle out and be pushed out your tap. I usually get some junk settling out, so my first few pulls out of the tap go into a jug and down the sink. Sometimes, changing the pressure a bit kicks that junk out.

I would have to say that off-flavors are coming from some other process.

If you cold crash the keg all the sediment should settle out and be pushed through the tap. (unless you're talking about excessive trub, which you just have to rack more carefully if that's the case)

What are you dry hopping in? You can dry hop in the keg instead with a hop ball or strainer bag keeping the sediment from entering the beer.

Oh, and if your beer tastes grassy it's from the hops. If it's another off-flavor it's probably from something else.

When I first keg the beer the taste is spot on...after a few weeks it starts to taste better and a bit more harsh. I have been dry hopping in te secondary.

I normally do drain the first off until it runs clear...but it never fails that when I finish an go to clean the keg, there is more junk in there. That's why I figured filtering the beer would be the next logical step.

Maybe try a beer that's not dry hopped next. If it still has these problems you'll know it's another process of your brewing.

I did a round of Belgians prior...and no issues...also didn't have much trub left in the keg after we drank through it all. This has been exclusive to the IPAs that have been dry hopped.

Thanks for all your help...trying to pick one problem apart from the next for that always elusive perfect brew!

I burp the kegs religiously when I keg...although just in transferring them from secondary to the keg some oxidation a is possible...

Ok, try skipping the secondary and dry hopping in the keg next time. Easier process with the same or better results IMO.

So to be clear, keg and the hops, and then go ahead and put it in the fridge? Should I leave it off CO2 or hook it up at that time?

I dry hop in the keg often with no issues. Keg, add hops in a muslin bag or stainless mesh, or something similar. Hit it with CO2 to purge the oxygen a few times, then with more pressure to seat the lid. I usually start carbing it up at this point, but you could rest it to let the flavors meld a bit if you like.

Ty for the help all. Il post back with what changes I do end up going with and the results.

Ended up getting a filtration kit and the next brew the off flavors that had originally developed didn't return. Happy days are a great ale that lasts and lasts and...doh! Drank it too fast...on to the next batch!

Back