Beersmith 2.1 - How to Add Grain To Account for Lower Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chays99

Reaction score
I'm averaging around 65% brewhouse efficiency. I want to brew the Lake Walk Pale Ale soon, but want to increase my grain bill due to my low efficiency. To do this, do I enter the recipe exactly as described, then select "my equipment" (which is set up for my gear), and then adjust the original gravity to match the recipe?

In other words, when I do the steps above, Beersmith calculates an original gravity of 1.047. The recipe calls for an original gravity of 1.055. At this point, do I manually adjust the original gravity to 1.055? When I do, the grain bill is increased to account for the low efficiency.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I searched, but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Put the recipe in as designed with the efficiency they give (if there isn't one go with 72 or 75, at least that seems to be the norm for me). Then.select Scale and leave the gallons the same but put in your efficiency

I believe that you can use the "convert" feature to change efficiency and beersmith will automatically change your grain amounts to make up for the difference. Try entering the original recipe and then use the convert feature to change to your brewhouse efficiency. You may have to adjust hops manually, just keep an eye on the ibus before and after you use the convert option.

Back